Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

I think the fact that there is a debate on whether the scores between night 1 and night 2 are comparable shows one of the largest holes in the judging system. The number itself is meaningless and is only relevant to the competition in which the score was assigned, and that could apply even when the same panel is judging completely different corps on 2 consecutive nights. 

Edited by ContraFart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I think the fact that there is a debate on whether the scores between night 1 and night 2 are comparable shows one of the largest holes in the judging system. The number itself is meaningless and is only relevant to the competition in which the score was assigned, and that could apply even when the same panel is judging completely different corps on 2 consecutive nights. 

and yet tonight BD and Crown head to head...spread is also tight. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 12:53 AM, snare_guy_83 said:

Combining the 2 nights is utterly ridiculous. Look no further than Percussion...

Crown in 3rd after 7th & 8th in San Antonio & Atlanta??? Jumped half a point in Content???

And yet Crown percussion beat BD again Monday night, with a different judge.   How would you explain that?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ediker said:

BAC is killing it in performance captions, and ranked 4th in GE, with one week left. 

And for this reason is why I think the GE caption needs to be completely revisited and turned on its head. There is certainly a a lot of great effect in BAC’s show, and the coordination and transitions are very smooth, especially compared to bd  and bluecoats. Just my humble opinion. 

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

And for this reason is why I think the GE caption needs to be completely revisited and turned on its head. There is certainly a a lot of great effect in BAC’s show, and the coordination and transitions are very smooth, especially compared to bd  and bluecoats. Just my humble opinion. 

Eh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

In today's age of possibly excessive props, perhaps the lack of excessive props and excessive brass line choreography is hurting BAC GE.

Before I saw BAC for the first time, I read somewhere on here that BAC's show was among the most traditional of the corps.  After seeing it, I certainly agree with that assertion.

It's a great show, but it does seem to lack some of the over-the-top elements that now exist in the activity.  Perhaps is what is hurting them.

While I consider myself more of a traditional drum corps enthusiast, I must admit that the current state of the activity has grown on me a bit over recent years.  Now, when I watch 80s/90s shows, while good, they seem to lack something compared to today's environment.

• Like 2

For all who have been conversing about DCI's East announcer. I have to step up and join in and have my 2 cents to say also as I am on the DCI East Committee and I have know Barry for a very long time. First his name is Barry Seltzer and he has been announcing for the Buccaneers, USBands and DCI East for countless years . The are always 3 sides of a story and if you all known what is the problems you would all be directing your comments to the Allentown School District Board. J Birney Crum over the years has had there maintenance budget cut just like most places have. The care takers for the stadium are maintenance workers from the Allentown Schools who are employed to work at their individual schools. They are not employed or work at the stadium. This employment is overtime for them. As a committee member they go out of their way to accommodate DCI East and try to `rectify any problems. They even help out running the pit gates on and off the field. Now the problem with the announcer. If you must know the truth here was the problem in two equations. First on Monday July 31st the right side speakers shorted out and blew up caused by a short in the wiring. One of the maintenance workers was trying to rewiring the speakers and with the speakers being blown they would not work. These are for any announcements and they need to be large and loud and not just any speaker will do and they are not just on hand in any warehouse and they need to be approve by the Allentown School Board. Remember these guys main jobs are in the school buildings and not the stadium. Now if you like to direct your complaints it should be to the Allentown School District School Board and not on a single person! Now about Barry, I talked to Barry after the DCA's Reading Buccaneers show in Landisville, PA which he announced. Barry is one of many who had "Covid" and lived! Covid effected many people different. I had it even after the many vaccinations but only had it 2 days. Barry had the vaccinations also and it has effected him leaving him with some slow thoughts process on how to pronounce word let alone names. Which we all have from sometime in our lives had trouble saying. I see Barry many of times before he is to make a announcement go over the strip! This man has been around just as long or even longer as a lot of us old timers remember West Hobby announcing at those remarkable years of yesterday on those old Fleetwood's. Soo sit down like I am and write not call but write to the Allentown School Board. PS: One of the maintenance workers had just died a few months before and he was one of the key members of the stadium staff workers and as of this writing his job has not been filled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MRCYMBALS said:

For all who have been conversing about DCI's East announcer. I have to step up and join in and have my 2 cents to say also as I am on the DCI East Committee and I have know Barry for a very long time. First his name is Barry Seltzer and he has been announcing for the Buccaneers, USBands and DCI East for countless years . The are always 3 sides of a story and if you all known what is the problems you would all be directing your comments to the Allentown School District Board. J Birney Crum over the years has had there maintenance budget cut just like most places have. The care takers for the stadium are maintenance workers from the Allentown Schools who are employed to work at their individual schools. They are not employed or work at the stadium. This employment is overtime for them. As a committee member they go out of their way to accommodate DCI East and try to `rectify any problems. They even help out running the pit gates on and off the field. Now the problem with the announcer. If you must know the truth here was the problem in two equations. First on Monday July 31st the right side speakers shorted out and blew up caused by a short in the wiring. One of the maintenance workers was trying to rewiring the speakers and with the speakers being blown they would not work. These are for any announcements and they need to be large and loud and not just any speaker will do and they are not just on hand in any warehouse and they need to be approve by the Allentown School Board. Remember these guys main jobs are in the school buildings and not the stadium. Now if you like to direct your complaints it should be to the Allentown School District School Board and not on a single person! Now about Barry, I talked to Barry after the DCA's Reading Buccaneers show in Landisville, PA which he announced. Barry is one of many who had "Covid" and lived! Covid effected many people different. I had it even after the many vaccinations but only had it 2 days. Barry had the vaccinations also and it has effected him leaving him with some slow thoughts process on how to pronounce word let alone names. Which we all have from sometime in our lives had trouble saying. I see Barry many of times before he is to make a announcement go over the strip! This man has been around just as long or even longer as a lot of us old timers remember West Hobby announcing at those remarkable years of yesterday on those old Fleetwood's. Soo sit down like I am and write not call but write to the Allentown School Board. PS: One of the maintenance workers had just died a few months before and he was one of the key members of the stadium staff workers and as of this writing his job has not been filled.

As much as I sympathize, maybe it’s time to retire from announcing if this is the case. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and yet tonight BD and Crown head to head...spread is also tight. 

So are you saying the numbers ARE transferrable? 

27 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

As much as I sympathize, maybe it’s time to retire from announcing if this is the case. 

THAT is what you took from this post? Barry has long covid effects, not old age or dementia. I have a friend who is still struggling with long covid symptoms after 2 years, so it's real. We should all hope Barry fully recovers soon.

C'mon, I know you're better than that.

• Thanks 2