DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

6 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

BAC-Nice show.  Mello's seriously out of tune at the beginning of the show.   

This point has been mentioned several times since the season started.  Is it a "board" issue or can staff/techs find out which person(s) are off and tell them not to play that part?

1 hour ago, TOC said:

This point has been mentioned several times since the season started.  Is it a "board" issue or can staff/techs find out which person(s) are off and tell them not to play that part?

No idea from a movie theatre.  But, IMHO they sported the weakest mello section of the top 12.

Edited by Mello Dude

2 hours ago, Crown 1990 said:

We don’t know that at all….

Every year y’all get suckered into believing BD can be beat. It’s so fun to observe. I look for BD’s spread over 2-4 to actually get bigger. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

I just arrived back at the hotel. My ears are still ringing and probably will for a while. 

I was a bit surprised with 2-4. Blue Devils were on target though I thought they were too over amplified but I don’t know of any corps who has ever had their score influenced positively or negatively by being over amplified. 

I thought it would be either Crown or BAC battling for 2 and 3 with Bloo in 4th. Both Crown and BAC have a clear story and tell it well. Boston Crusaders is impeccably clean. Crown was on target tonight and their brass amazing. Bloo was great but their opening doesn’t grab me. We will see movement in the top 4. 

Cadets in 5th was no surprise but I expected Phantom to place 6th. Mandarins have a great show but it is gimmicky and I expected they’d be in 7th.

I thought Troopers were better than 11th though Colts had a great run. After Glassboro and Allentown I thought Blue Stars had plateaued, but they were alive this evening. 12-15 placed as I thought they would but I expected it to be closer. Blue Knights should not test too comfortably, Crossmen could come out roaring tomorrow.

No major surprises with 16-31. I did wonder if The Battalion might find themselves in the top 25. Guardians were better than I expected based on quite a few negative comments in other posts. We’ll be hearing more from Columbians in the future. Raiders had an enjoyable show and Les Stentors have a lot of talent for a small corps. They still offer lessons to young people with no musical experience. 

BAC's weakness (at least based on scores) is GE.  4th in GE1 (judges have visual backgrounds) and 3rd in GE2 (judges have music backgrounds).  4th in overall GE.  Also, their color guard achievement is ranked 3rd (but 1st for content).  Also, GE is weighted higher, at 40% of total score.

Total GE is 0.475 is behind 3rd place for GE.  This gap is too large to be adequately offset by their higher rankings elsewhere.  3 of the 4 GE judges ranked BAC 4th in content-repertoire.  So, it's more of a design issue than achievement.

Yes...they are quite clean....but that is also why they slowed a bit in their progression vs other corps, as BAC is mostly at or above content, for achievement scores.  38.50 GE achievement vs 38.35 content.

Looking at the recap, it seems that achievement scores somewhat follow content for GE.  It's not like other captions, where you could be significantly over/underperforming content.  How does a corps overachieve GE content?  With brass, they either nail a lick, or it's sloppy.  Same with percussion.

The judges have determined that BAC's show does not have the same GE impact at other corps' shows.

In summary, while BAC's show is certainly quite good, the design (in the eyes of the judges) is not as strong as the 3 above them.

Perhaps the Thursday judging panel just didn't like BAC, and the Saturday panel will see things differently.  I suppose one could review recaps from prior shows to see how BAC was scored by the same judges relative to others, to look for anomalies with certain judges.

There may be some room to run with guard, as they were 2nd to BD by 0.1, with achievement being 0.2 behind content.

So, there you have it, BAC staff....this first scores analysis is complimentary.  We can discuss my retainer fee and hourly rate for future analysis. 🙂

My friends and I were top section, third row on the fifty.  We expected BD to win, but got order right on 2,3, and 4.  We all were blown away by Crown and thought they were the “best” corps.  Vey impressive, and brass was sublime.  Thought Boston did not profit from their performance order.  They were very good, but my comment right after they finished was, that they lacked the intricacies of Bluecoats and the grandeur of Crown. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cop said:

Troopers,  back on their game tomorrow, should slide by Stars.

Not with a 16th place colorguard (which I agree with!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOC said:

Horn lines have been doing this since the dawn of time.

• Like 2