DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

8 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

Mandies are ahead of Cadets in 2 of the 4 Music sub-captions. That Brass achievement score for Mandies is a tough one, but seems that its Cadets percussion that is keeping them ahead.

Yeah Mandarins is all about performing on the very edge of being out of control. That will get you a lot of attention but in DCI the brass judges aren’t swayed by that. The corps ahead of Mandarins now are all mastering brass range, control and tonality. 

22 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I'd agree...looking at the recaps, the judges are definitely not in full agreement about BD. 

• 2 of the 4 GE judges had them in 2nd. 
  • 1 of the 2 music analysis judges had them in 3rd. 
  • The percussion judge was way too friendly to them IMO. I'd anticipate Julie will drop them lower. 

There are two things keeping them in 1st. Their visual sweep (but guard is FAR from guaranteed for them), and the judging disagreements on who should be 1st when they're not. If the GE panel gets on the same page and unifies around one winner that isn't BD, they drop further behind in percussion, and they lose guard, there is an opening for a corps to step in. 

Is that Crown? Maybe, their percussion puts them at a disadvantage. I'm still guessing BAC. 2nd in visual, 2nd in percussion, 3rd in music. If they get a favorable GE panel, they're in. 

You make it sound like BD lost. Give credit to the other 3 that have up’d their sections that will always play into winning. BD knows this. That’s why they have 20 rings, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Absinthe doesn’t really make you hallucinate. IMO it’s moreso a show about that point in a night of drinking with the lads when you inevitably get on a bar and take your clothes off. Which, to be fair, Blue Stars represent pretty literally! 

Back in my days marching, on free days too!😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 90svet said:

If I wanted body movement, I would go to the ballet.  It seems like a waste of talent to have brass members rolling around on the ground for such an excessive amount of time.

While I absolutely acknowledge that today's drum corps shows are more intricate, and possibly more enjoyable, than decades prior, I feel that the amount of showtime dedicated to choreography has become excessive.

I get the sentiment. My era was run and gun. When I look back at favorite (long) past shows, it’s clear that there was an excessive emphasis placed on marching alone. Talented brass players were turned into marching automatons. 

• Like 1

Sound in our theater was like the field mics weren't working so horn/battery were very muted. Pit and soloists were fine so it was a bit of a disappointment. The good news was for the first time ever (for me anyway) I really enjoyed each show. Some more than others but they all had something that was awesome to experience. I'm a curmudgeon by nature so that was quite distressing.

Good luck to all the corps the next two days!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rufus67 said:

Sound in our theater was like the field mics weren't working so horn/battery were very muted. Pit and soloists were fine so it was a bit of a disappointment. The good news was for the first time ever (for me anyway) I really enjoyed each show. Some more than others but they all had something that was awesome to experience. I'm a curmudgeon by nature so that was quite distressing.

Good luck to all the corps the next two days!

our theater sounded good most of the night, they had it nice and loud and drowned out the next door theater.   We did have crackling sound at times from one of the right side speakers at points in almost every show, and sometimes from the center channel speaker.   we could not figure out if it was from the feed or speakers, since it was so inconsistent

Edited by gjramsey
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Well they don’t really serve any role in the show until the end. That’s not so much a criticism, it’s just fact. Usually BDs props are used by the corps for staging and such.

??? They are used constantly throughout the show. Sometimes to elevate individual or groups of performers, tilted up to create entrances/exits, or with people hanging on them by one hand - holding a "cut out" body silhouette shape either still or while playing/spinning with the other hand. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

??? They are used constantly throughout the show. Sometimes to elevate individual or groups of performers, tilted up to create entrances/exits, or with people hanging on them by one hand - holding a "cut out" body silhouette shape either still or while playing/spinning with the other hand. 

The only use I could see (til the end) was making the field look cluttered and making them look have 0 to 0 field field presence.  BD wins with a lot of tight 2 step interval blocks, that are INCREDIBLY easy to clean and look clean.  They do this while spreading the guard out.  I think they aren't going to be beat this year, they are that good.  They are very smart in show design.  Masters of something look more than it actually is.  And, let's be honest their soloists are just amazing this year..well about every year.  Their program is consistent and strong and actually great to watch and listen to.  What more do you want?

38 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Yeah Mandarins is all about performing on the very edge of being out of control. That will get you a lot of attention but in DCI the brass judges aren’t swayed by that. The corps ahead of Mandarins now are all mastering brass range, control and tonality. 

Different time, different corps, different caption...

... but just listened to the the SCV 04 drum tape and they were rewarded for doing exactly as described. They were told it was artistic to find that edge.

So I say, rewarded or not, keep riding that edge. It's fun. Continue to be the season's darling show, even if that means not rising in the scores cause the content of it calls for exactly this. :shedevil: