Wow, no one wants to discuss VANGUARD?

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Update to SCV BoD (that’s the headline folks)… drumroll please… we talked to Dan A. Other than that we’re still looking for someone to take over leadership. 
How many months ago was someone put into the “temporary interm” position? Know I’ve been out of the loop but one of the premier corps having problems find new leadership? 🤔

Why talk to Dan A. He is stepping down from DCI after the Championships.

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

An early challenge for new DCI ED will be if & how SCV is allowed to return 

they'll cave and just let em back in.  oversight is often an oversight depending on which group it is.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

As long as I'm tossing my opinions out there, I'm also concerned by a couple of other things in their statement.

This is good:

The organization has achieved its short-term fiscal goals of returning to current status with all vendors...

This is a massive red flag:

...and is steadily working toward restoring our capital and endowment fund. 

Where did the capital and endowment fund go?  If it was to pay vendors, as is implied by the fact it's all in that one sentence, questions must be asked.  

The other issue, regarding leadership:

we are actively pursuing experienced candidates for key leadership positions. This includes a dedicated full-time leader overseeing Operations as well as an experienced senior leader overseeing the VMAPA organization.

This is ... kind of ... concerning?  Could be a big deal, could not be.  While the Board definitely has the authority to conduct business without an ED or corps director, that means the Board also made the (possibly) decision above to spend their capital and endowment fund.  They're also charging full steam ahead without having installed any permanent day-to-day leadership, and the run up to 2024 starts on literally Sunday.

Finally, this:

Dan reviewed our revised operating budget and leadership plan during our most recent meeting. As a next step, he has helped organize discussions with a few seasoned drum corps leaders who were selected due to their depth of experience in building and running organizations.

This probably should have been Step One for 2024, not step At The End Of The Summer.  And nobody at SCV BoD has contacts on their own?  When I was at Guardians, I had half a dozen other orgs on speed dial that were cartoonishly awesomely helpful when I needed it.  And we were on the bottom shelf of DCI, not the top.

Anyways, there may still be much going on we don't know about, but that's what stood out to me from this most recent update.  

Mike

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Why talk to Dan A. He is stepping down from DCI after the Championships.

Forgot he was stepping down (pause to collect thoughts)…. Hope they were talking to more people than just Dan A and just worded it badly (at this point wouldn’t be surprised). Hope DCI has things planned out for a quick turnover to next person (have no idea on what is going on).

My big thought is, months after they lose their head THEN they contact DCI. Reeks of “we tried and don’t have a bleeping clue, guess we better turn down our egos and ask for help”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I'll be honest...no I do not want to talk about SCV. Not right now. It is Finals week. I think people want to enjoy watching drum corps and celebrating the corps on tour.  As we get more into the Fall I am sure more will be discussed about SCV and their health and potential return. 

And fortunately for many of us, after this week, we will be taking our 10 month vacation from DCP. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

close this. we can return to SCV after finals.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Don't knock the high school band booster organizations. Some of them are ran better than corps organizations at this point.

That was kind of my point. 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Sure, let's pretend nobody squandered funds during the pandemic.  Isn't it concerning that SCV was around for years, and was among the most respected and stable organizations, and then suddenly experienced a downfall during a period when some corps continued to pay admin staff during shutdowns, while concurrently soliciting donations.

56 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Stop reading. Others are interested in it. 

• Like 3