The Cadets 2024

On 8/19/2023 at 5:46 PM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Based on the most recent tax return filing which ran from 11/01/2020 - 10/31/2021 (So this is the covid celebration year), the organization able to collect donations and revenue from various operations to make money. They were able to grow cash balances, although they are small in my opinion. Financially they appear okay. 

Based on local rumor mills they seem to be fine and are collecting donations. And I do know there is a big effort amongst the board and those associated with the board locally here in Erie attempting to gain corporate sponsors from businesses in Erie. Including some that would be extremely beneficial to the corps. 

All things considered, The Cadets appear to be doing well here in Erie and are prepared for the next year. 

This was not correct.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

This was not correct.  

Clearly and frankly I'm mad because everyone around the org here said otherwise. I'm going to be hunting down what happened. Stay tuned.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

My recollection is that they were not able to apply for the SVOG grants that other corps did because they were technically not in business as the current 501(c)(3) in 2020/2021, having left YEA in that window. Still, it seemed like they were finding their way - this is very sad news.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

As an alumni, I’m heartbroken and furious at the same time how this was so mismanaged and communicated. Had any of us alumni known the actual current state, we could have, would have, made a difference. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Cadet Guardy said:

As an alumni, I’m heartbroken and furious at the same time how this was so mismanaged and communicated. Had any of us alumni known the actual current state, we could have, would have, made a difference. 

As a lifelong fan of the Cadets, I too amd heartbroken. However, I'm not sure you alumni could have made much of a differnce. Will the state of the economy people have really let up on their chariable donations. I know, I work in this industry.

When this happend with 2023 Vanguard I said this was the end of the end. I don't know what the solution is but the costs of running a corps today are but DCI needs to do something. The costs involved to create a winning program, from staffing to uniforming to props to electronics are just crazy. It all adds up. 

This isn't only going to happen to Vanguard and Cadets. Certainly not.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Cadets helped to take an 17 year old teenager, who spent his childhood surrounded by drugs, gangs, and typical inner-city problems, and allowed him to see what life should be like. If it weren't for Cadets, he wouldn't have spent 21 years in the Navy created a life for himself that's worthy of celebration. That kid was me. 

The Cadets mean EVERYTHING to me. If they need to take a year off to get things back in shape, then so be it. I'm sad that this is happening, but with the continuing rising costs of everything, I can neither be surprised nor naive that this won't happen to other corps, because with the current trend, it will. 

Thank you for this post & for your service. It just made me feel little better. ❤️

• Like 2