Bluecoats 2024

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Back to Bluecoats.  I’m always looking forward to where they’re going next.  The only time I’ve guessed correctly is the first Beatles show.  

Bluecoats and Blue Stars programmers have gotten a lot of product from Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas. I would look there. "Ka" is my favorite (it even features a "wand spinner" that probably honed her skills with a rifle as a teenager. I would like to see a DCI version of "Ka".

Edited by denverjohn
typo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, denverjohn said:

Bluecoats and Blue Stars programmers have gotten a lot of product from Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas. I would look there. "Ka" is my favorite (it even features a "wand spinner" that probably honed her skills with a rifle as a teenager. I would like to see a DCI version of "Ka".

Cool. I didn't know that about the Bluecoats. Which Bloo shows?

17 hours ago, lawdn said:

Bluecoats Beatles show borrowed considerably from the movie musical "Across the Universe" and the Cirque show "Love" playing in Las Vegas in terms of re-arranging and re-imagining the look and meaning of the Beatles songbook. IMHO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, denverjohn said:

Bluecoats Beatles show borrowed considerably from the movie musical "Across the Universe" and the Cirque show "Love" playing in Las Vegas in terms of re-arranging and re-imagining the look and meaning of the Beatles songbook. IMHO.

Thanks! Bloo does an amazing job of reimagining their sources to create very original concepts. Now that you point it out, I can see and understand the influences/sources. At the same time, they add and layer in so many original ideas.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:42 PM, lawdn said:

The Bluecoats 2012 used a good bit of music from a Cirque show,  not sure which one, but I thought it was KA

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 5:42 PM, lawdn said:

Ombra (from Cirque du Soliel) 
Incantation (from Quidam)

Distorted (from La Nouba)

Love Dance (from Ka) 
Filet (from La Reve) - Not exactly cirque du soliel, but a cirque-adjacent program that was also composed by Benoit Jutras

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been working through my back catalog of audio downloads I hadn't listened to, and realized I haven't listened to the 2019 ones since they first came out.  Bluecoats' show I will argue to the death might be the greatest production ever put on the field.  It's just *big* both visually and musically in a way that I don't know anyone's ever pulled off. (Yes, I think they should have won, and it shouldn't even have been close.)

Mike

• Like 4