Bluecoats 2024

On 3/27/2024 at 11:28 AM, An_drew said:

Is it too much to ask for 2024 to be the year that Bloo Brass is finally good enough to win the Ott?? Please, I'm literally begging. I've wanted to see them win high brass for years now.

Their hornline is criminally underrated, and I know I'm not the first person to say that. While they haven't been the cleanest or most technically proficient on the field, they have had one of the most characteristically unique sounds in the activity for more than a decade at this point. That's what makes Bloo Brass so special, in my opinion.

I recently came back to this video for the first time in a while, and my goodness it's getting me excited for 2024!

I know you didn't mean it in this way, but I'd say Bloo's brass is good enough to win an Ott. They've had a few second place finishes in brass over the past few years, and just earned their highest brass score at finals last year, so they're more than knocking on the door 😀

But in full agreement with you, this group still feels a bit overlooked as a whole by the general consensus. I think this group has some of the most demanding environmental challenges on the field year to year. Still think 2019 might've been their crown jewel in brass so far but they've been close since then. Can't wait to see what they have in store this year!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, OhioBoy_99 said:

I know you didn't mean it in this way, but I'd say Bloo's brass is good enough to win an Ott. They've had a few second place finishes in brass over the past few years, and just earned their highest brass score at finals last year, so they're more than knocking on the door 😀

But in full agreement with you, this group still feels a bit overlooked as a whole by the general consensus. I think this group has some of the most demanding environmental challenges on the field year to year. Still think 2019 might've been their crown jewel in brass so far but they've been close since then. Can't wait to see what they have in store this year!

Thank you for correcting my poor word choice, because you're right, they definitely ARE good enough.

But I do hope that they can close that almost non-existent gap this year (or sometime in the near future). It's long overdue.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I can definitely see "Lost It To Trying" being this year's "Bump" in terms of overall impact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These selections and the video graphics give the impression that this show will be a bit of a callback to the kind of stuff they were doing pre-2018, and I'm 100% here for it. I can't wait to see what Thrower and Rarick will cook up from these tracks.

It's also nice to see them release the repertoire list. I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers they actually announced their selections ahead of time in 2016, 17, and 18. They just kept the title/theme under wraps until opening night. They stopped announcing repertoire in 2019 because the music gave away the theme of the show. And technically, every year since then the show theme has been present in the music selections themselves. 2022 - the whole show was based around Taming the Dragon by Brad Mehldau, and 2023 - The Garden of Love by Jacob TV.

• Like 3

Drum corps always increases my music vocabulary and BLOO is so innovative that i cannot wait for another increase..Peace

• Like 1