The Staff Merry-go-round

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

They're already way behind on the audition train. I truly would be shocked if they return. 

And I would say we don't know what the design staff has been working on. They haven't jumped ship and I highly doubt they are sitting around doing nothing. They could very well just be waiting for the word on finances to move forward with everything for '24. It's not like they have to launch a drum corps from scratch. they just need the money and a place for kids to show up.

Can anyone name a single staff member from SCV who has left to go somewhere else? I highly suspect the design and teaching staff are simply waiting for the word go. With that staff, kids will show up if they come back and I think those names who have stayed will provide a certain level of comfort that this isn't going to be a thrown together season.

17 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

And I would say we don't know what the design staff has been working on. They haven't jumped ship and I highly doubt they are sitting around doing nothing. They could very well just be waiting for the word on finances to move forward with everything for '24. It's not like they have to launch a drum corps from scratch. they just need the money and a place for kids to show up.

Can anyone name a single staff member from SCV who has left to go somewhere else? I highly suspect the design and teaching staff are simply waiting for the word go. With that staff, kids will show up if they come back and I think those names who have stayed will provide a certain level of comfort that this isn't going to be a thrown together season.

Conrad, the VCH was at Boston for 23 along with Mark Nichols. I haven’t heard anything either way with them coming back to BAC or leaving. But my gut says they’ll stay

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Conrad, the VCH was at Boston for 23 along with Mark Nichols. I haven’t heard anything either way with them coming back to BAC or leaving. But my gut says they’ll stay

At least three of their guard staff were teaching at BD, Bluecoats and Mandarins this past summer 

9 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

They definitely said on the Marching Roundtable podcast that they were already working together or looking forward to working together this upcoming season as well. Meaning the current design team.

Wonderful news!

20 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Doubtful Saucedo is going anywhere else than Cavaliers. The vibe this year (from the staffers I talked to) was completely different than the chaos last year, and corps management would be goofy not to want to hold on to him. Same with the percussion team: they have every reason to be happy, and happy people don't run away from home. Hope Rosemont can hold on to the guard staff, as they were an obvious upgrade over the last few years in terms of recruiting and teaching (most improved guard this season, and it's not up for debate). 

Visual design and brass instruction were the two weakest areas, and you'd have to believe they're looking at upgrades/changes  in both areas.

He just got done with another year of working with BD again. 😉 Seems to be well liked by the members.  

5 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I don't pretend to speak for Mark Nichols, but in the one conversation I had with him in late season he seemed to be really enjoying his experience in Boston....and that tuba section seemed to really like him as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I don't pretend to speak for Mark Nichols, but in the one conversation I had with him in late season he seemed to be really enjoying his experience in Boston....and that tuba section seemed to really like him as well.

I’ve heard nothing but extremely positive things about him from the Boston members, and his former SCV kids as well

7 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Did I say anything about staff? No. This is purely organizational. No planned audition dates or locations. And no clear word on their ability to even run as a non profit in the state of CA. Again, I would be shocked if they return. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Did I say anything about staff? No. This is purely organizational. No planned audition dates or locations. And no clear word on their ability to even run as a non profit in the state of CA. Again, I would be shocked if they return. 

And I believe this stuff could all be planned and waiting to be released pending the decision to return.

I don't have direct knowledge of anything. I just know people who know people like everyone else but this place tends to be doom and gloom about everything. I'm sure we'll know of a decision on '24 within the next 30 days or so and I think the fact that a return is even possible at this stage with none of their core design staff jumping ship should be considered a good thing.

17 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Also, calling people "you people" has been a pet peeve of mine for decades. Yeah, they changed that, and the poster changed it, and was an innocent thing.

Individuals and future people commenting on a topic - You people.  Could say it also fits the topic of they/them since people is better use than guys. Or snark away about a comment bringing awareness to a person that I believe was the first ever they/them in that position in DCI. 

• Like 1