The Staff Merry-go-round

11 hours ago, karuna said:

Because of exactly what started this little sidetrack:  Boston fans constantly bringing up Crown.   Additional reasons:  (1) their shows and uniforms look precisely like Crown shows of the past (2) their admin seems to hire everyone that Crown parts ways with (most recently Hannum and Ancona).   Since Crown moved on from those guys there's no angst here just an observation.  (3) Boston adopted Crown's spring training regime (ie move in to a small remote college, live in the dorms, etc...  I see posts from Boston fans bragging about all this but it's just an exact copy of what Crown has done for many, many years at Gardner Webb.  I mean it makes sense because it works well but it's just exactly the same setup as that team had at Crown  (4) It's funny as hell .  How's that for a start?

And I know I'm going to get the standard reply (Boston has their own identity blah blah blah).  Let me tell you -- that identity may be there internally but from everything you see publicly...well it's there for anyone to see.  Sic sequitur Crown North.  It's not an insult -- it's literally a description.   Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.  <donning flame suit now>  

ps. sorry but you asked...

1.  There is nothing in Boston 2017-on that even resembles the preceding uniform style Crown maintained in 13-14-15.  Shows are all different too.

2.  The more ex-staff you have, the more likely another corps will hire them.

3.  The premise that Crown is the sole source of the spring-train-at-a-college idea is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have heard since the last time woodwinds were proposed for DCI.

4.  Well, it is a little funny, but not in the direction you intended.  And it is mostly sad, the extent to which BAC lives rent-free in the heads of a few Crown supporters.

For all of time, staff have chosen which corps they work with by their own free will.  That includes staff moving from one corps to another, and staff working with more than one corps simultaneously.  The ONLY case I know of where this irrational objection to staff freedom was lodged was regarding the Boston hires post-2016 season.  And to be specific, not about ex-Cadets staff... only ex-Crown staff.

You would think with the new Crown percussion team (formerly consultants with Boston), we would all have moved on from this nonsense by now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  There is nothing in Boston 2017-on that even resembles the preceding uniform style Crown maintained in 13-14-15.  Shows are all different too.

3.  The premise that Crown is the sole source of the spring-train-at-a-college idea is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have heard since the last time woodwinds were proposed for DCI.

4.  Well, it is a little funny, but not in the direction you intended.  And it is mostly sad, the extent to which BAC lives rent-free in the heads of a few Crown supporters.

For all of time, staff have chosen which corps they work with by their own free will.  That includes staff moving from one corps to another, and staff working with more than one corps simultaneously.  The ONLY case I know of where this irrational objection to staff freedom was lodged was regarding the Boston hires post-2016 season.  And to be specific, not about ex-Cadets staff... only ex-Crown staff.

You would think with the new Crown percussion team (formerly consultants with Boston), we would all have moved on from this nonsense by now.

Mike drop...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I see that Crown has been holding spring training at Gardner Webb in 2007. Phantom Regiment started holding spring training at Rockford College in 2003 and did so for a number of years thereafter.

I know for a fact Crown was holding "everydays" at Belmont Abby College in 1991 (their second competitive year). They may have been there the year before, as well. 

I think drum corps have been holding spring training/pre-tour/everydays at college campuses for decades (well before the 2000s)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

I know for a fact Crown was holding "everydays" at Belmont Abby College in 1991 (their second competitive year). They may have been there the year before, as well. 

I think drum corps have been holding spring training/pre-tour/everydays at college campuses for decades (well before the 2000s)

They did going back to at least the 70s. We did, though they were more weekend camps than a full weeks long spring training. 

By the way, did everyone know that Al Gore invented the Internet? 

• Haha 3

Hy Dreitzer...!3 corps within 40 minutes of each other...talk about poaching..lol...sorry I just couldn't resist...peace

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, TOC said:

Ahhh, the old WInter Hill Gang.  James"Buddy" Mclean, Howard "Howie" Winter.  Then the more famous guys.  Whitey Bulger, with sidekicks Cadillac Frank Salemme; Jim & John Martorano, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, and Kevin Weeks. 

yeah those guys were experts at poaching

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

IMO i think the timing of when word got out is what really caused the controversy. it was one of the worst kept secrets for at least finals week if not before\, and led to the new not til after Labor Day rule.

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat here…

Can we get reasonably on topic and get away from the stuff about Crown and BAC. It is verging on getting personal between posters.

stop trying to poach our fun

:master:

• Haha 9

I believe all of DCI stole the "Spring Training" idea from Major Legue Baseball.

:dancin:

We now return you to your previously scheduled bickering.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6