DCI's Next Director

50 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

... which is just a way of dismissing the idea of cutting costs.

If you refer back to earlier posts, it is far more than just "line item B".  There are a number of non-essential changes that have inflated the cost of drum corps over time, such as two-month tours, truckloads of pit percussion, the complete catalog of band brass instrumentation, unlimited electronics, props, etc.  Without those costs, drum corps was far more inclusive, not just by cost-per-member, but at the level of having diverse corps in diverse communities, and many many more of them.

Nor are they as small as they appear on the line item budget.  As we keep pointing out, it is not just the purchase price of the equipment, but also the costs of transporting, maintaining, insuring, and accommodating it at venues not designed for props, tarps, gigantic percussion pit arrays, or the vehicles carting them on/off the field.

If we refuse to address the costs we CAN control, we are really just dismissing the whole idea of controlling costs.  

I am convinced the next DCI CEO will not have this on their agenda, unless a sweeping change of mission, bylaws and BOD composition brings a permanent end to the DCI dynamic of top corps setting the agenda for everyone else.  World-class is still full speed ahead.  Genesis cut their 2022 tour back as far as DCI protocol would allow.  Jersey Surf cut their 2023 back farther than that, but appear to have made a deal to retain WC status in the process.  SCV cut their whole 2023 season.  And DCI sails on.

yes the line item part continues to be ignored when brought up.

as for the CEO....their job is big picture, not the nitty gritty of what each corps budgets. you will not see that become a pressing issue for the CEo unless it causes a massive problem like a prop related serious injury

12 hours ago, TOC said:

I believe it's been brought up before, but where does many corps possibly buying together with a food supplier stand currently?  Companies like SYSCO might be interested.     

It’s been suggested quite a few times and has been rejected on these pages and my understanding is by some corps. Now, the fact that a very successful person in the business world known to many in the drum corps community personally and others by name, not quite Bill Cook successful but is quite accomplished and is highly regarded for his civic involvement, has made this suggestion many times and it has been rejected. This leads me to believe the idea has merit but corps are so competitive, working collaboratively is viewed as giving up control. 

Working together to cut costs is something every corps knows is a great idea, and they love the cutting costs aspect, it’s the working together that is the challenge. Sometimes it requires baby steps or perhaps a few corps working together for change to take place. A new director facilitating endeavors such as this would be great.

4 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Okay!

Obviously "wait and see" (no corps experience... I wonder what his interest in the activity is, enough to apply for the job?), but that resume does seem pretty solid.  I LOVE the marketing and "obscure Olympic sport" experience. 

AND the financial red-to-black angle!  

Edited by ranintothedoor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

good resume. i wish him the absolute best of luck!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Not a bad choice, sure the corps directors have plenty of DC experience and the CEO has experience in other needed areas.

• Like 1