Personal 2023 Top 5

On 8/19/2023 at 11:21 AM, Vuitton said:

1. Carolina Crown

2. Bluecoats

3. Cadets

4. Boston Crusaders

5. Phantom Regiment

But, my single favorite thing of the season was the last minute or so of the Bllue Stars show.

I cannot tell you how jarring it was to see Poppy's former profile pic next Carolina Crown at the top of the list.  Seriously, it was a double take before realizing it was Vuitton.

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Crown

3. Boston

4. Cadets (Didn't like the uniforms but the music was good)

5. Pacific Crest

Great year and no particular order here. 

1. Cadets - This activity needs the Cadets. Elements and feel of design from the past made this show feel like a coming home party for the corps. Shout out to the great precussion section that was right up there with the best.  

2. Crown - They have not been in my top 5 in a long time. Something about those arrangements this year that just hit in all the right spots. To allow that ballad to breathe with the spacing and silence was breathtaking. Their semis performance will go down as one of the best lines I've ever heard on the field.  The placement though was absolutely accurate based on the two corps above them. A little more cutting edge and innovative show and they will have found the missing piece needed.  

3. Bluecoats - Design alone gets this corps in my top 5. Like Crown, they just about have all the intricacies and elements in place to reach the top. I was so impressed with their guard this year. Clean lines and technique were just beautiful to see in lieu of everyone else throwing in the whole kitchen sink of impressive work that their amazing guards were doing. Good year for guards. Their color palettes are always amazing.  

4. Cavies - I'm sure they are not pleased with their placement but this show was so good. My son and I were actually humming some of those Saucedo arrangements over these last weeks. It was cool to pick out all the snippets of shows from the past and makes you realize just how special those shows were. That percussion line not only played well but had that visual cleanliness that made it both an audio and visual feast to behold.  

5. Naughty Devils - Well deserved and earned championship. It's interesting watching audinces watch BD perform. Other corps' shows they will cheer for a great moment in acheivement. For BD, everyone just takes it all in like watching an actual show on stage. It's difficult to describe but the sum of a BD show isn't going to leave everyone saying that was my favorite show for the night. It instead continues to take this activity down paths that I can only feel are teetering to that of a prefessional staged show. It respects the intelligence and sophistication of the viewer and rarely panders to get appluase for applause sake. The performers know and understand how to interpret their show like no other corps teaches its members. That alone is one of the most rewarding experiences being a BD member. 

Edited by Whiskey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1