Questions about DCI All Age and Saturday Programming

I was at the DCA mini-corps and I&A competition last night. It was very entertaining, and there was a huge crowd in the Rochester convention center. A highlight was the Cabalerros horn line playing a number of Chuck Mangione songs, to Chuck himself, who was there being honored by both DCA and DCI. Steve Rondinaro presented a video highlighting the corps who played a lot of Mangione music over the decades. Mr. Mangione does not charge any drum corps a fee for playing his music. Amazing composer and musician. DCI finals will be even more fun next year, with the addition of the All-Age corps and alumni mini-corps. 

• Like 5

On 9/1/2023 at 11:19 PM, C.Holland said:

Well. When you get the same (up to) 6 corps at a show in both DCA and a different but same 6 at a show in DCI open class, it then can only be helpful to run the tour near to established operators and venues.  There will be new growing pains such as finding housing for DCI groups in places that were DCA only show sites before, and figuring out the shower and practice fields in places that were DCI only before, but you now can give each a few more show operators and performance ops in places they didn’t have before.  

championships will require everyone to suck it up and play nice, and will require some coordination for fields, housing, and programming that may overlap a bit to get it all in.  But again, more fans in one place. More eyes on the corps that aren’t in the north east, and you may even get a few more members out of it. First year is the “figure it out “ phase. Second year will see if it makes headway. 

as always the goal of year 1 is to get to year 2

8 hours ago, Tom Slade said:

The big question is:  After tonight who is going to start the DCI All Age Forum!

we can jst ask the mods to change the name

Was having a discussion with a friend of mine that participated in a group at DCA this weekend. He felt this combination is a great idea and you may start to see some Soundsport teams moving up to the new “All age” class. We both felt that this is an opportunity for Soundsport and the All age to feed off each other and could bring more groups into the arena. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Was having a discussion with a friend of mine that participated in a group at DCA this weekend. He felt this combination is a great idea and you may start to see some Soundsport teams moving up to the new “All age” class. We both felt that this is an opportunity for Soundsport and the All age to feed off each other and could bring more groups into the arena. 

Soundsport & All-Age feeding off each other could turn into cannibalism, which is never a long-term solution to a problem. 

52 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Soundsport & All-Age feeding off each other could turn into cannibalism, which is never a long-term solution to a problem. 

I'm thinking they meant that it might make DCA stronger with the addition of a possible "tour optional" class of SoundSport participants?  Do you think there could be a master plan by DCI to take DCA under their 'umbrella' and merge SoundSport and/or DrumLine Battle? Could a merger make both groups stronger? That would make an interesting competition on Saturday morning @Lucas Oil.  Just thinking out loud...  

For me personally, I would be more likely to attend the DCA finals instead of SoundSport.  That's probably due to some friends on staff.  I've never attended SoundSport but did watch & listen from the street one year when they performed in the old parking lot.     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

Hmm DCA All age could be the stepping stone between SoundSport and Open Class for groups that wish to pursue that. 

• Like 1

Look at the intended programming and market ( meaning who pays the tour fees) for each group.

world class - mostly college students and high level high schoolers who want to and can afford to go away all summer

open class - mostly high schoolers and some college students who can afford to be away all summer but can’t afford the world class tour. And those looking to get their chops before worlds 

all age - mostly high school students with less disposable income or time but are shooting for world class. 

soundsport - this is for everything that doesn’t fit anywhere else. It’s actually more for admin seeking to create ensembles. It’s designed to be less strict on rules, a smaller performance area, and only 7 min max show.   You’ve already seen it help DCA Groups grow (RHR), DCA Mini Corps (Star United), Open Class (Guardians, Battalion, Columbians), and it’s given MN Brass a place to perform.  So this is the true starting point for lots of options depending on what your admin want to do and wheee they want to grow. It’s specifically programmed to be nothing more than a day trip.  Touring is an entirely different model and there’s a bunch of administrative and financial targets groups have to meet to be allowed to do so.  This is to prevent the Div 3 issues that happened in the 90s.

drumline battle - is anything goes. No age limit. Just street beats and riffs. It’s meant to bring everyone together old young, slick, dull, and to be very unbuttoned as compared to everything else that is very regimented and programmed. It’s super fun to watch from even my standpoint as a non drummer. 

they’re not going to cut programming they’ve spent decades building. But they may use soundsport to help facilitate growth of All Age and Open Class.   Bluecoats already have an all  age soundsport that looked very fun. Who knows they may grow that into an all age group and really #### people off with their thoughtful use of technology on the field.  Madison had a soundsport that fed into scouts as well. 

Edited by C.Holland