Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

21 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

22 member percussion staff.

For a corps that's already had "issues".

I presume they are all getting paid ?

And people wonder why people say corps spending in "out of control".

You assume they’re all there at the same time and get paid all the time. Neither are true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

22 member percussion staff.

For a corps that's already had "issues".

I presume they are all getting paid ?

And people wonder why people say corps spending in "out of control".

*sigh* As has been said NUMEROUS TIMES  over the YEARS this has been going on, they are NOT all full timers.  They drift in and out a the season progresses.

You might see 2 plate techs if their schedules overlap, but for the most part they are NOT all there at the same time.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

*sigh* As has been said NUMEROUS TIMES  over the YEARS this has been going on, they are NOT all full timers.  They drift in and out a the season progresses.

You might see 2 plate techs if their schedules overlap, but for the most part they are NOT all there at the same time.

Read my post.

I never said they were all full timers.

I said " I presumed they  were all getting paid".

Full time or not, they are all getting paid.

Questions to me are :

1. Why do you need that  big a percussion staff ?

2.How much is each staff  member being paid ?

Edited by rpbobcat

One concern of mine that has not yet addressed by leadership is the need for the development of a substance use/misuse policy. This should include legal and illegal substances, as well as prescription drugs. I also strongly believe it should include instructors and design staff, given the org's history. Edit to add: why not throw in the board and admin staff too, whether on the road or not? Again, given the history.

I couldn't find a handbook on the website to check if this was already addressed and I missed it.

Edit to add again: In the spirit of good will, here might be a decent jumping off point https://www.girlscoutsosw.org/content/dam/girlscoutsosw-redesign/forms/careers/GSOSW_Alcohol-Drug-Free-Workplace-Policy.pdf

Edited by scheherazadesghost

The arms race continues. Can’t cut costs. Must raise the revenue. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

You assume they’re all there at the same time and get paid all the time. Neither are true

It's called a resume or CV filler. Even if these "instructors" do a day or two they can say....I instructed the world renown SCV corp and their percussion unit. Then they can legit say that on their resume maybe for a band directorship or university music department whatever.

15 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

The arms race continues. Can’t cut costs. Must raise the revenue. 

They started out of the gate with the inability to solicit donations. While still a delinquent non profit organization with the state of California they are working with as much as $500K less than they could have. 

If the new CEO would just focus on getting compliant, he would pay for himself and be the most productive employee of SCV in the last 5 years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmyjames said:

Does every member of the cymbal line get their own tech? LOL. /s

Since most techs are barely above age-out age of 21/22, I propose that all tech job descriptions should read: Must be 21 or under and be willing to march and wear a uniform. Tech staff teaches themselves. That would save a bunch of space while on tour and housing space.