Pre-2024 Top 12 Guesses

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

8.  Mandarins - Not a huge fall back in performance levels.  Hard to have that kind of lightening in a bottle 2 years in a row & more west coast recruiting competition.

Mandarins ARE the West-Coast recruiting competition. Fans are fans, and they have visions of the bottle dance in their heads, but potential members, the slice of the population ages 18-21, saw Sinnerman and said I WANT TO DO THAT. That show was pure gas, absolute catnip to any performer who wants to do drum corps, who wants to perform. Mandies will have so many kids coming out for camps they'll be be loading the cut bus and sending it to Santa Clara.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

...and they're WRONG. Mandarins were Mandarins all on their own!

I kinda love the fact that people are sleeping on the Mandarins...........I am not going to say anything, but if these doubters only knew............alot of people going to be wiping egg off their faces in 2024. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I kinda love the fact that people are sleeping on the Mandarins...........I am not going to say anything, but if these doubters only knew............alot of people going to be wiping egg off their faces in 2024. 

Did you catch my “way too early” projections? I put Mandarins 4th 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I believe Mandarins are on that launching pad to the level of top 4. NOBODY....including me expected their rise and sophistication in 2023. I still get that feeling from these post they are not taking seriously.

Cracking into the top five is really difficult as we all know . For the Mandarins to finish in the top four ; and using the results from this year, the mandarins would  have to stay ahead of cavaliers, and phantom  and  jump “two” of these corps; Cadets , Boston, Crown, Bluecoats  BD.

My opinion ,  anything is possible but I will say historically it is incredibly  difficult and rare  for lightning to strike twice and the mandarins definitely struck like a bolt of lightning with their show choice and talent in 2023.  Maintaining their current position of sixth place  would be a huge victory for 2024 in my book. 

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Mandarins ARE the West-Coast recruiting competition. Fans are fans, and they have visions of the bottle dance in their heads, but potential members, the slice of the population ages 18-21, saw Sinnerman and said I WANT TO DO THAT. That show was pure gas, absolute catnip to any performer who wants to do drum corps, who wants to perform. Mandies will have so many kids coming out for camps they'll be be loading the cut bus and sending it to Santa Clara.

If souvenir booth scuttlebutt is an indicator, word from a BAC cashier is that the three corps that had the most inquiries about auditioning for next year are BAC, Troopers, and Mandarins. I’m sure this is speculative and I have no idea of how it is measured, other corps may disagree, and every kid who is under the age of 21 who attends Indy and probably Allentown, San Antonio, and Atlanta/NightBEAT wants to march even though not all will even formally inquire speak less of audition. That being said, I think it’s safe to say Mandarins auditions will not be ghost towns. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I believe Mandarins are on that launching pad to the level of top 4. NOBODY....including me expected their rise and sophistication in 2023. I still get that feeling from these post they are not taking seriously.

I’m not sure they will make the Top 4 though I wouldn’t bet against it. I did not expect a 6th place finish this time last year, but I did expect higher placement. In 2021 it seemed as if Mandarins had a game plan for the future and were experimenting a bit for 2022. While placement did not improve in 2022 from 2019, we did see something new. 2023 built in the good work of 2022. I assumed 8th was where they would end up. 

• Like 1