a potential problem for stadiums everywhere....

1 hour ago, bluecoats88 said:

it wouldn't affect the use of props, but it would stop the use of tarps, as they actually could damage a grass field

12 minutes ago, TOC said:

Back a few years, there was at least one show site that wouldn't allow props.  Had to do with the weight or recent rain that could possibly damage the field.

Yeah i think this was the show at Chester where the Philadelphia Union play.  Led to the whole deal where DCI doesn't go there anymore.

It definitely would impact the use of props over a certain weight tearing into the turf.   And/or getting straight up stuck if it was wet.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so apparently the NFL players union wants all fields to go to grass....which would in turn bleed down to every level at some point.

#### I can’t get the article link to paste

They say that with every high profile injury. Demanding it and doing it are two different things. Bleed down to every level....nah.

• Like 1

As a BD supporter (i stop short of “honk”), i would have no problems if they put restrictions on, or banned, props.  As long as everyone plays by the same rules, fair is fair.  

• Like 5

Would any stadium with a grass surface allow an event such as a DCI finals week at their venue?  Perhaps they would place restrictions the pageantry leaches wouldn’t agree to. Stifling evolution and all that. 

1) NFLPA's CBA does not expire until 2030, i doubt the request for natural grass fields will be added to the CBA until then. 

2) The remaining artificial turf stadiums could go with what the Santiago Bernabeu (CF Real Madrid) has done with their pitch, and it's pretty #### cool:

https://youtu.be/xZZs6BxLYHM?si=W9sp4chi5-fOuw87

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

1) NFLPA's CBA does not expire until 2030, i doubt the request for natural grass fields will be added to the CBA until then. 

2) The remaining artificial turf stadiums could go with what the Santiago Bernabeu (CF Real Madrid) has done with their pitch, and it's pretty #### cool:

https://youtu.be/xZZs6BxLYHM?si=W9sp4chi5-fOuw87

As an engineer, that is a very interesting system.

I don't know how feasible it is for most stadiums.

Sounds like "real Madrid" is pretty much rebuilding the stadium.

Also it will be a few years before anyone knows how well the system

works.

I'd also like to know the cost.

44 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

As an engineer, that is a very interesting system.

I don't know how feasible it is for most stadiums.

Sounds like "real Madrid" is pretty much rebuilding the stadium.

Also it will be a few years before anyone knows how well the system

works.

I'd also like to know the cost.

They did a 3 year renovation where they had to play in a smaller stadium to implement this change and a roof addition. TBH it is a cool way to keep the pitch in world class condition, however i'll bet the cost is in the 200-300 MIllion range and knowing NFL owners, they'd pass the cost to the ticket holders. I just thought that NFL stadiums could have 1 NFL field, 1 marching arts field, 1 soccer pitch in a perfect world. Especially BofA Stadium (Charlotte), Met Life Stadium, Gillette Stadium, Mercedes Benz Stadium...any NFL stadium that also hosts an MLS Club

The NFL owners would have to approve this for them to incur the costs of the field changeover . As mentioned earlier above , it was not that long ago that the Players Union complained to the League and to the owners that grass fields were causing more injuries and especially in muddy , rained soaked conditions with resultant foot and knee injuries . Not sure the votes are even there to get the owners to approve this . Some of these NFL stadiums have the stadium owners ( oftentimes the NFL franchise owner ) income from the Pro soccer teams to use their stadiums .  That’s income the owners likely won’t want to give up , and  not sure how the Pro soccer teams feel about going back to playing in grass .

So it’s something to bear watching . But even in the unlikely event the league owners agreed to go  back to all grass fields for their NFL stadiums , as a few others here have mentioned it would be several years down the road .

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

The NFL owners would have to approve this for them to incur the costs of the field changeover . As mentioned earlier above , it was not that long ago that the Players Union complained to the League and to the owners that grass fields were causing more injuries and especially in muddy , rained soaked conditions with resultant foot and knee injuries . Not sure the votes are even there to get the owners to approve this . Some of these NFL stadiums have the stadium owners ( oftentimes the NFL franchise owner ) income from the Pro soccer teams to use their stadiums .  That’s income the owners likely won’t want to give up , and  not sure how the Pro soccer teams feel about going back to playing in grass .

So it’s something to bear watching . But even in the unlikely event the league owners agreed to go  back to all grass fields for their NFL stadiums , as a few others here have mentioned it would be several years down the road .

MLS Owners want their clubs playing on natural grass, it attracts top talent to play for that club. With Messi playing MLS, hes starting to attract players to finish their careers in the US and most do not want to play on artificial turf, additionally FIFA will not play on artificial turf so thats fat revenue they could miss out on.