Cadets Suspend for 2024

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

While you can’t really control how many people work in a corps, you can limit the number of staff badges on tour!  

You seem to think they’re all there at the same time. They aren’t, and aren’t paid for time not there. The days of giving up your entire summer to play band are gone

43 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

They also need housing for 3-4 weeks of spring training... because many of the corps members are not local.

Still have to house them. The days of crashing on someone’s floor are gone. Too much liability 

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I completely understood what you meant by mission alignment as it pertains to substantial corporate sponsorships. It's very important to those relationships.   

Coo. Not only corporate sponsors though. Large institutional and individual donors as well. Ya know, the ones you want to be able to rely on by building long-term sustainable relationships with? 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Guess I'll keep saying it til someone picks it up.

Why not invest in actual np development expertise either in the board or admin level? There's, like, a whole profession dedicated to finding and maintaining large individual and institutional donor relationships. Same with grant writing. (Ya know, the standardized np revenue models I keep bringing up.)

And do keep bringing it up.

In this specific case, however, a corps is telling us they do not have funds to operate their 2024 season.  I am therefore skeptical that they would have funds to invest in professional development/grant-writing at the moment.  For that matter, they first need to fill the open ED position.  (Though a candidate with non-profit development/grant-writing skills would be a plus... )

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I guess "You Are or You is Penn State?  Especially in the rain. :guinesssmilie:  

WE ARE! (Wet). 

the missus wanted to do alumni Blue Band for homecoming. It’s my payback for making her stay at DCA prelims in 06 during that monsoon 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

WE ARE! (Wet). 

the missus wanted to do alumni Blue Band for homecoming. It’s my payback for making her stay at DCA prelims in 06 during that monsoon 

She plays a long game of cold revenge. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

People put a lot of hope on BoD’s but my experience tells me that, candidates while willing to help and give advise are not necessarily looking for adding 20h/week to their normal schedule, take huge fundraising responsibility on their own (without much needed help) or donate 20% of their own income. 

There are a few. But not as much as people think there is. + with corps not being local anymore, fundraising is much more harder as there is not a bulk of involve people living at the same place to make it happen. 

The only thing left is corporate sponsorship but not many pursues this as they don’t know how to do it, they have noting to offer in return (limited visibility), they are shy or they think having a good show come first and then there’s no time left for other objectives/projects. 

If the BoD is larger than a handful of people, and diverse in their backgrounds, then the work required won’t come close to their spending 20 hours/week running a corps.  And a BoD doesn’t run a corps anyway.  You can spread their work out and let an BoD  oversee the corps management and support the corps as needed.  There are corps out there where this works and works well.  What corps not set up this way can do, is meet with and learn from corps that are being successful with this set up.  Help IS available.  But there are corps out there too, who feel they know better and don’t listen.  Pride, ego, hubris, whatever it may be, they don’t reach out.  There is also the flip side where a BoD may have been asked for help by corps management, or otherwise made fully aware of the challenges  and support needed, and has not provided help and has not reached out to get help to support their org. 
And oddly enough, corps alums who could help, don’t, because in their minds, the corps in some way offended them. Maybe it was by changing unis, performance style, location, whatever it may be, support is held back because things changed and not to their personal liking.  So the current corps suffers.

Minds and attitudes need to change.  BOD structure may need to change.  Be larger to expand resources. Diversify thought and sourcing options primarily for sustainability.  Be financially creative and innovative (all legally of course). Don’t minimize revenue streams and opportunities.  Bring smart people into the fold.  

• Like 1

Since everyone wants to increase "revenue", but no one will offer a specific idea... allow me.

40 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Tuition is as high as it can be. 

Suppose we challenge that assertion?  For 11 weeks of housing, 4 meals a day, expert instruction in music/movement, and cross-country travel too, $5000 is a bargain.  It is a bargain at twice the price.

If we are to address this from the revenue side, then how about we charge members something closer to what this experience really costs?

14 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Coo. Not only corporate sponsors though. Large institutional and individual donors as well. Ya know, the ones you want to be able to rely on by building long-term sustainable relationships with? 😉

True; it's not like our local community sponsorships for the fine arts program that covers the band, choral, & theatre programs.  These are on a much larger scale as to the amount of money as well as the national & even worldwide exposure for their brand.  Most all of your touring artist have corporate sponsorships giving the corporation or product brand an incredible amount of coverage.  

Even something as simple as wrapping the motor coaches & semis that are on tour with the music artist can bring in a lot of revenue for the tour production.  There's a great company in Nashville that create, design, & install the vinyl wraps on the entertainer coaches & semi trailers.  But that's just a small portion that could be tapped into for addition revenue.      

I've never really understood why the drum corps model can't seem to tap into more large scale corporate sponsorships. (or even espn that covers corn hole & spelling bee competitions.)  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1