A follow up message from CA&E's Board Chairperson

7 hours ago, Chris RL FHNSAB said:

I'm secretary of the board of directors at Cadets, if that helps.  Trying to keep accurate information flowing, and not gossip from those who do not know what they are speaking about.

Thanks for engaging here.  

I SCV had been this transparent and had a BoD member engaged here, I think it would have done some good.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Chris RL FHNSAB said:

Thanks Jeff.  Your information is incorrect.  Our transportation challenges were with a bad bus company, which we chose to replace and reallocate those funds for a new one at championship week.  This decision had nothing to do with anyone leaving, in fact Denise spearheaded the removal of the bus company and replacement.  

Rumors are just that. Rumors.  If you have questions, ask us/me.  We will continue to be as transparent as we can, knowing that we speak as one BOD.  Thanks for the compliment.

thats why i said a ton of stories. i made sure to preface it.

i'll ask...what the hell suddenly popped up that put the corps in this shape. this had to be seen coming weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

thats why i said a ton of stories. i made sure to preface it.

i'll ask...what the hell suddenly popped up that put the corps in this shape. this had to be seen coming weeks ago. 

Jeff is right. Somebody knew something. There was a failure out there. Yes, a budget was established that, if the actual spend met the projected, would have been balanced. But the actual spend exceeded the budget. Or the actual revenue didn’t meet projections. Either way, they ended in the red. 

Let me pivot.  I’m sure many of us serve on or have served on various boards, probably in a volunteer capacity. In my case I learned that a parish priest worth his salt keeps that short list of those members to be called on when needed to balance the budget (those with the big $).  You coddle and maintain that special relationship with those handful of members. It can feel distasteful but it’s reality.   Surely a corps that’s been in existence for as long as Cadets must have such a “short list” of such donors identified. My hope is that the Board has or will “maximize” this funding source relationship. It takes time. It takes savvy. But it’s absolutely necessary. 

Edited by HockeyDad

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

In my case I learned that a parish priest worth his salt keeps that short list of those members to be called on when needed to balance the budget (those with the big $).  You coddle and maintain that special relationship with those handful of members. It can feel distasteful but it’s reality.   Surely a corps that’s been in existence for as long as Cadets must have such a “short list” of such donors identified. My hope is that the Board has or will “maximize” this funding source relationship. It takes time. It takes savvy. But it’s absolutely necessary. 

I'm guessing that "short list" has been tapped every year since 2018.   And it's now "tapped out."

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So you had to hire a different bus company just for DCI Week? And with little time to compare prices?

Hate to think how much that added to expenses. Especially if more than one crew of drivers was needed due to number of hours they are allowed to drive per 24 hours

It appears the funds they had for the failing bus co. were “reallocated”. So possibly no money lost by not being able to shop around.  Bus breakdowns would have more cost impact than making a change I would think.  Plus it was in Indy (championship week). Less drive time needed at that point.  Seems a right decision was made given the circumstances.

14 hours ago, dbc03 said:

I don't think the desire for summer marching band is strong enough that something else will necessarily fill the niche if DCI dies. We're talking about an activity with what, 5000 kids currently? A good portion of those are college students making tremendous sacrifices to do this particular version of competitive summer marching band. If the experience is lessened there will be even less demand.

It's not like sports where you have the chance of going pro or getting a scholarship. 

Your chances of becoming a musician or dancer are far better than becoming a pro athlete.  You may even have a better chance of getting a scholarship for music or dance that getting one for sports too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Your chances of becoming a musician or dancer are far better than becoming a pro athlete.  You may even have a better chance of getting a scholarship for music or dance that getting one for sports too.

What are your chances of becoming a pro marcher? or a marching scholarship?

There are more effecient ways to become a better player than doing drum corps.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It appears the funds they had for the failing bus co. were “reallocated”. So possibly no money lost by not being able to shop around.  Bus breakdowns would have more cost impact than making a change I would think.  Plus it was in Indy (championship week). Less drive time needed at that point.  Seems a right decision was made given the circumstances.

Wasn’t saying it was the wrong decision. Management was hit with a problem and did what they could under the circumstances. 
And getting money from the old bus company would not be a quick process. Any refund (if any) wouldn’t come until we’ll after Finals week. Possibly not until after the next fiscal period (believe the Cadets message said it starts October) which means a shortfall for the time behind.

My point was having to quick shop for bus service just made a bad situation worse. And agreeing that this was a hit for Cadets finances.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1