Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

6 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Nonprofits are businesses. Those not approaching them this way are bound to struggle.

YW. @Gantang and @Slingerlandas well.

Yes, nonprofits are businesses first, but with different tax rules than for-profits.  We tend to focus here on the tax aspects (because that can have legal implications); but the focus should be on the business side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But, would it be feasible to run a few local businesses for the benefit or the organization?   The up-front startup costs are probably a barrier.  Anyway, just a thought to throw in the pot.  

Not sure if it's still done, but the NE Patriot's allowed organizations like the Boston Crusaders to work the food/beer stations as a way to raise funds. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TOC said:

Not sure if it's still done, but the NE Patriot's allowed organizations like the Boston Crusaders to work the food/beer stations as a way to raise funds. 

Alot of arenas used to allow this, I know many stopped for a few reasons. I'm sure some still may. What I used to do is let members work those places to help pay their dues. Much bigger donors are needed to support groups. One can work themselves to death and not make much sometimes. Exposure though at these places can certainly help.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Alot of arenas used to allow this, I know many stopped for a few reasons. I'm sure some still may. What I used to do is let members work those places to help pay their dues. Much bigger donors are needed to support groups. One can work themselves to death and not make much sometimes. Exposure though at these places can certainly help.

I believe at the Pats, volunteers had to be over 21 because of beer sales. That limited having mm’s participate. It was hard to get a full compliment of help each week, but it was a good way to get $$.  A decent amount too as I recall.  

It may be time to think more seriously about what donors get for their dime. Yes if you are an equipment manufacturer that’s one thing; your stuff is on the field. But what if you are a bank, or a grocery store chain? It may be time to look at things pro sports are now doing…like uniform patches. Or sponsorship mentions: Carolina Crown, sponsored by Truist Bank.

Edited by MikeRapp

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I believe at the Pats, volunteers had to be over 21 because of beer sales. That limited having mm’s participate. It was hard to get a full compliment of help each week, but it was a good way to get $$.  A decent amount too as I recall.  

It was a great way. Like I said I used it to make members for winter programs raise their own money toward their dues. Younger members couldn't work concessions but were able to work souvie booth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

It may be time to think more seriously about what donors get for their dime. Yes if you are an equipment manufacturer that’s one thing; your stuff is on the field. But what if you are a bank, or a grocery store chain? It may be time to look at things pro sports are now doing…like uniform patches. Or sponsorship mentions: Carolina Crown, sponsored by Truist Bank.

Just don't go nutso with the uniforms.

Gold and Steel on X: "Gary Bettman says ads on jerseys is in consideration  for future NHL seasons. It's common in soccer, where sponsor ads take the  place of a team logo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

In the past:

Railmen (Omaha(?)) were sponsored by Union Pacific railroad; had patches on uniform & logo on bass drums.  
Spirit of Atlanta was originally sponsored by an Atlanta TV station.  
Hamm’s Indians (Sr) were sponsored by Hamms brewery. 
Pioneer was sponsored by Pioneer packaging co.

I’m sure there were others.  Today, with national membership you would likely need sponsors with a national presence.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In the past:

Railmen (Omaha(?)) were sponsored by Union Pacific railroad; had patches on uniform & logo on bass drums.  
Spirit of Atlanta was originally sponsored by an Atlanta TV station.  
Hamm’s Indians (Sr) were sponsored by Hamms brewery. 
Pioneer was sponsored by Pioneer packaging co.

I’m sure there were others.  Today, with national membership you would likely need sponsors with a national presence.  

The NHL has sponsors for their practice/warmup jersies. And now helmet stickers and small uniform emblems. 

I get it, it’s not the best thing for the aesthetics. But it’s survival time.

Corps Director after the show:

”I just wanna thank everybody that the  Franzia Box Wine drumline meshed so well with the Scrubbin’ Bubbles Color Guard and Old Spice Deodorant Hornline; it was a lot of work but the Cookie Cornucopia Dr Beat and Bob’s Plywood Emporium PA systems came together at the right time to put us over the top!”

• Haha 2