Vintage DCI at 2023 BOA Grand Nationals

4 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Wow.  1985 is considered "vintage"......?  What's older than vintage 😬?  

Artifacts 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Artifacts 

and after that, petrified 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

32? 😳 Good grief. 

Don't forget that the BAC had 36 large Banners on wheels in 15.  Ang those 12 windmills in 16 must have been a pita to put together/breakdown and store.     

Edited by TOC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Worth noting that The Woodlands show was arranged by Wayne Downey, hence how familiar the charts were, right down to the classic Wayne Downey Ending #7 ($1 to the Renegades). 

And The Woodlands show visual designs were by Jon Vanderkolff with set designs by Michael Raiford of the Bluecoats!  AWESOME SHOW.  

• Thanks 2

Terri, I stayed about 15 minutes east of downtown at a country inn and suites, it’s the same hotel I stay At for dci.  Cost about $100 a night, which is less than half the cost of a downtown hotel.  If you don’t mind driving back and forth and dropping $20 to park each day, it’s not bad.  Got a rental car pretty cheap as well.  Guessing the car would cost more in summer but for this trip it was worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, burdettsky said:

I'm a high school band director, and I've been attending DCI and DCA shows live since 1991.  I regularly attend Finals for DCI and DCA every year.

This was my first year ever attending BOA and it was fantastic.  If you like drum corps, I'm sure you'll find plenty of enjoyment out of these performances.  Yeah, the finalists are well advertised, but there are 91 bands that performed over Thursday and Friday.  The nice thing is the prelims are spread out over thursday and friday so you can basically show up anytime you want and there are performances going on, minus a small number of 15 or 30 minute breaks.  Two judging panels for prelims so the breaks are few.

Tickets were $35 for each of the first two days.  $40 for seminfinals (top 33 bands) and I think I paid $50 for finals  The crowds are appreciative, many standing ovations for almost all of the groups, whether they finished 1st or 91st.  All but finals are general admission seating so you can move around for different vantage points, or park yourself in the same place for a while.  

All in all, not knowing what to expect, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Indy, and I also played two round of golf on Friday as it was warm enough (50 degrees for me is warm enough to golf in November).

I went in 2021 for  the fist time in several years and yes it is a great time and very very entertaining. You will be as entertained and wow'd as you would with DCI Championship week. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

I went in 2021 for  the fist time in several years and yes it is a great time and very very entertaining. You will be as entertained and wow'd as you would with DCI Championship week. 

The last time I was at a BOA (MBA back then) championship was in 1978 in Whitewater and I was still marching Guardsmen. A bunch of us went.  We must have had the same weekend off. It was summer band then.  I did go to band shows when my kid was marching and later teaching but that was probably ten+ years ago.