Vanguard 2024

32 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm curious to see if it was what 23 was supposed to be

I don't remember the timing of the shutdown for SCV.  Did the creative team already have a concept before the season got shut down for them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lance said:

I don't remember the timing of the shutdown for SCV.  Did the creative team already have a concept before the season got shut down for them?

from what i heard yes, but it hadn't been announced. any corps without the show in place ( minus modifications) by Thanksgiving is behind the 8 ball

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Is the 24 design team same as 23 (pretty sure for percussion it is; not sure other captions)?  I wonder how much of 23 was actually written before the plug was pulled?   

as far as i know it's the same major players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

If they do the 2023 show in 2024, that could give them a 12-month head start on copyright clearances.

Unless they dropped pursuing said clearances once the plug was pulled for ‘23.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

If they do the 2023 show in 2024, that could give them a 12-month head start on copyright clearances.

Next dumb question- once you get copyright clearances, do they last forever or do they expire at some point?   Or is the clearance for a set number of performances?   

If SCV had clearance, I would hope they could roll them over to this season if the program remains the same. 

I am very excited to find out what show SCV puts on the field this year. Their designs have consistently been some of the most interesting and challenging in the activity in recent years, and I admire their commitment to realizing their vision. In some seasons, that commitment might have compromised their scores, but typically the shows retain an integrity that I admire. 2022 was mesmerizing, even as it had some genuine design issues that made it seem flat and repetitive to some. They also managed to take a big step up in the performance levels beginning in 2017 which I hope they can resume. May they put another challenging show out this season!

I'm generally happy that Michael James has returned. I've seen his name in other staff rosters recently though, and alas, simultaneously none of the signature grace, poise, and complexity I recall from his choreography. Hoping that's different this season and that designers give him something lyrical and phrase-heavy to work with.

Did I also mention his choreography is some of the safest I've seen across colorguard history? Safe as in, reducing injuries both present and future. Perhaps my tirades about un-pointed feet got through to someone...

MJ sparked my early career into dance two decades ago there and I genuinely wish for similar and more inspiration for future alum.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lance said:

I believe it was December. Considering the time and energy it requires for music clearances, I would be shocked if they hadn't already decided on a concept, selected music, and sketched out horn arrangements. This is usually work that happens in the off season, and even if the music doesn't make it to the members until the spring camps it's likely been in the works since August. 

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

from what i heard yes, but it hadn't been announced. any corps without the show in place ( minus modifications) by Thanksgiving is behind the 8 ball

Yeah exactly...this is an early fall discussion. The first round of horn arrangements is likely done by the first camp.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1