A Great Article on The Cadets

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

How far does that extend?  Do we all have to avoid naming a corps "Cadets" from now on?  If SCVC ever comes back, do they have to pick a different name?  Will too much maroon and gold get you swept up in a lawsuit?

At least this explains why corps now change all their costuming every year.

it'd be anything that ties back to 1934, Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen County, sponsored by YEA, Allentown, Erie, maroon and gold, every title state and national and the traditions they so made well known.

other corps can be a Cadet of some kind as long as it doesn't try to tie into anything on the above

Thinking about it, I'm not sure that ANY corps formed from the remains of The Cadets would be free from the possibility of suits in the future, regardless of what they called themselves, if the DNA of the new corps could be tied to Garfield/Bergen County/YEA/CAE. A plaintiff could make the case that they're actually still the same business, just operating under a new name and with new 'owners' through the 501(c)(3), and while the new corps could argue otherwise, the situation would hardly be cut and dried.

I think anyone who plays Bernstein should be looking over their shoulders.

/s

If they do manage to somehow come back, maybe they should rebrand as the Ensigns. 90 years IS an awfully long time to go without a promotion, after all. 😁

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

How far does that extend?  Do we all have to avoid naming a corps "Cadets" from now on?  If SCVC ever comes back, do they have to pick a different name?  Will too much maroon and gold get you swept up in a lawsuit?

At least this explains why corps now change all their costuming every year.

Years back a group tried to restart 27th Lancers and could not use the name. There are past threads that have the specifics of the situation. 

Could an organization begin a corps called the Cadets? It’s a more generic name than 27th Lancers so conceivably yes. Would it be possible to use the traditional uniform? That could be trickier but other groups have worn similar uniforms. I would imagine attaching Garfield, Bergen County, Allentown, or Erie that could be a problem. Attaching Holy Name to Cadets from a legacy point of view would be more specific and probably require the permission of the original parish. I believe the when they attached Holy Name on an anniversary year was a one season only agreement. Continuing the legacy could mean paying outstanding bills and lawsuits, or at least attempts by creditors to make the corps do so.

My thought is most of the members who marched when the corps was Holy Name have probably met the Lord, Garfield Alums are mid 50’s plus, Bergen County late 40’s plus, Allentown and Erie might be younger, but young people are not going to join a start up with the name of a past corps whose legacy would seem like ancient history, especially if the corps is dissolved due to scandal and financial mismanagement. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

My thought is most of the members who marched when the corps was Holy Name have probably met the Lord, Garfield Alums are mid 50’s plus, Bergen County late 40’s plus, Allentown and Erie might be younger, but young people are not going to join a start up with the name of a past corps whose legacy would seem like ancient history, especially if the corps is dissolved due to scandal and financial mismanagement. 

My thoughts go towards getting new members. Would these young people remember the glory years… doubtful. Would they remember the legal issues and going inactive… more likely.

”hey mom and dad I want to spend $$$$ and a summer marching with….🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I think it was more because the organization claimed the traditions, history, and accolades of the organization named in the lawsuit originally. Do I think a corps in PA/NJ could be named “The Cadets” or “Holy Name Cadets”, etc etc., no. No corps will be able to have that make and make a successful claim that they are different. 

I suppose that had someone started a new corps back in October/November and brought most of the former Cadets members/staff together under a different banner (say, Magic of Meadville), then that would be okay?

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My thoughts go towards getting new members. Would these young people remember the glory years… doubtful. Would they remember the legal issues and going inactive… more likely.

”hey mom and dad I want to spend $$$$ and a summer marching with….🤔

Of course, this applies to SCV right now and is probably effecting recruiting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I suppose that had someone started a new corps back in October/November and brought most of the former Cadets members/staff together under a different banner (say, Magic of Meadville), then that would be okay?

You’d have a stronger argument against being the same organization. Members and staff are free to go to any corps they like.

5 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Thinking about it, I'm not sure that ANY corps formed from the remains of The Cadets would be free from the possibility of suits in the future, regardless of what they called themselves, if the DNA of the new corps could be tied to Garfield/Bergen County/YEA/CAE. A plaintiff could make the case that they're actually still the same business, just operating under a new name and with new 'owners' through the 501(c)(3), and while the new corps could argue otherwise, the situation would hardly be cut and dried.

well if an alumni started a corps, even if they claimed no ties, just happening to say their personal roots....would that be an issue?