Shows that surprised you and glad you saw live

Oh the Blue Devils doing Tommy in 1990 was good too.  Blue Devils were all about the jazz idiom then so it was a real departure and surprise for many, but i dug it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not going very far back.  Mandarins last year. I’m usually kind of meh about them. Not that they aren’t good because they are.  It’s me. But when I saw them in Cincinnati last August…holy moly… 🥰

First runner up:  2022 Troopers.  Didn’t see that coming either. .  

You were not paying attention to @Chief Guns or anyone else who saw Mandarins early last year! But that show really had to be witnessed in person to believe. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not going very far back.  Mandarins last year. I’m usually kind of meh about them. Not that they aren’t good because they are.  It’s me. But when I saw them in Cincinnati last August…holy moly… 🥰

First runner up:  2022 Troopers.  Didn’t see that coming either. .  

So glad you enjoyed Sinnerman Ms. Terri. 

It's funny cause my son said the Cincinnati show was one of their worst runs of the season lol.

• Haha 1

BD in 1991. Conversations in Jazz.

Saw them live back to back nights in Riverside and Costa Mesa.

Still to this day, the greatest and most powerful horn line I have ever heard. Hands down, no debate.

If I would have been an Audiologist back then, I would have been standing at the stadium exit passing out my business card. 

• Like 1

1992 Finals — top to bottom — just amazing 

• Like 4

And — Once More in ‘94

I was living in Michigan at the time and couldn’t be in 27th’s alumni corps — but when I saw wave after wave of khaki coming into the field in Foxborough, I literally  wept

• Like 3

Bloo 2016, I saw them very early in Hamilton Ohio before alot of the buzz and I knew I was seeing something VERY different. It's not that often that you see something that different and unlike many others I immediately loved it.  I was definitely surprised at what they put on the field.

• Like 3

1971 VFW Nationals - Blue Rock, particularly their drum line.  They were fantastic!

And Blue Devils 1976 because it was a turning point for the activity. 

• Like 2

BD 2014. I hadn't liked any of their shows many years before that. I loved it and totally agreed with how they were scored except the brass. I thought Crowns' brass was just a teensy bit better than BD. 

BAC 2023. I was so skeptical about them. Until I saw them live in Broken Arrow. I had friends outraged that they placed above Crown. They watched them from streaming. You just had to see them live and in person to understand how they placed higher than Crown.  Even though Crowns' my corps, BAC was better at that performance. They were so good I broke down and bought a "White Whale" shirt. The last time I bought any merchandise other than Crown was in 2013. So that's saying something. But in the end Crown surged ahead and finally medaled again. They hadn't medaled since 2017 and it was about time they did.  Anyways...BAC 2023 live was phenomenal.  My favorite show after Crown. 

Rambled on a bit, didn't I?

• Like 2

St. Kevin’s, 1960.  Several times.  Back then they were other worldly.  Decades later I am still upset an offside penalty cost them the trophy at VFW in Detroit.

Troopers 1969 and 1970.  This group of, what from the stands looked like a bunch of 14 year olds wearing glasses, 😊 stole the show.  They were unlike all the other corps, and their drills were miles better than the rest.  So amazing to watch live.

Suncoast Sound 1988.  Saw them late season under the lights at historic Manning Bowl.  I was truly blown away.  Unfortunately, the Finals video was made early in the show, and it was not yet dark, so a lot of effect is lost.

• Like 2