Shows that surprised you and glad you saw live

Allentown 2018..The Cadets revived Zingali's famous move ( Z pull  ) in the closer, much to the delight of the audience, that roared in approval..Goosebump time!...Peace

• Like 3

3 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Allentown 2018..The Cadets revived Zingali's famous move ( Z pull  ) in the closer, much to the delight of the audience, that roared in approval..Goosebump time!...Peace

• Like 6

Have always loved shows that "came out of nowhere!"

When I read the topic here -- thanks, HockeyDad -- two shows that fit immediately came to mind.

Had the good fortune to write 1980 album liner notes when championships were in Birmingham, where I lived for 40 years. We counted 200+ shows that I saw that year, including the 21st place Secaucus, NY Royal Brigade, offering at least half a glimpse into the future of drum corps. The music: NBC Chimes Festival, Boogie Wonderland, and Celebration Suite set the pace, but disco ball silver lame/sequin jumpsuits had replaced the "Brigade" uniform of just the year before. Still: the corps was not the Bridgeman; it had not abandoned the militaristic bearing and presentation enough to completely sell what would have otherwise been a breakthrough show for the times.

But the first show that came to mind, and seemingly "out of nowhere" was from a corps that in 2003 had mistakenly attempted "New World Symphony." Phantom's classic from 1989 was still in fan's minds. But but. ... in 2004, with a musical book of Holsinger arranged by Jay Bocock and a drill by Jeff Sacktig, Columbus, OH Capital Regiment etched themselves in my drum corps heart, and into 14th place, with "Celebration of Life: Mind, Body, and Spirit."  I rewatched the show before sitting down to write this. The triad was played for effect, rather than explication. It holds up beautifully today.

Capital Regiment's 2005 show "Chiaroscuro!" sported a rolling prop -- just one, too small even then -- that would seem underplayed today. At the time, it felt ... well, at least to me ... as a promising precursor of things to come. Just like Royal Brigade's disco ball-themed jumpsuits had seemed in 1980.

TImes like those when we all love being fans in the stands!

Anytime I get to see the Blue Devils live! 

I never think of the Blue Devils as one of my favorite corps until I see them live.  Then, they become my favorite corps for the night.  

• Like 1

Academy 2016.

Saw them early in the season in Riverside. 

I remember commenting here on the forum that all corps with the goal of making top 12 were just put on notice. 

What a great show!

• Like 1

A little bit different for me because it wasn't my favorite show at the time: '98 Glassmen. We were standing backfield mingling with the Cavaliers waiting for retreat and the big hit near the beginning made the group I was with turn our heads in unison. I couldn't believe that sound was coming from the Glassmen.