Cadets and bankruptcy

12 hours ago, Slingerland said:

It wasn't at YEA. The Board was dysfunctional (non-functional, more accurately), and despite plenty of warning signs that there were issues with their CEO, they made no effort to exercise their responsibilities as Board members.  At a time when every other corps in the early teens was implementing member-safety protocols, YEA ignored that movement, and the amount of financial chicanery going on in their back offices was legendary in the activity.

If there's an upside, it's that almost every other corps has seen how bad it can be when one megalomaniac is allowed to become the face of the organization, and have modified their approaches to being more proactively responsible about business operations and more transparent with their stakeholders. 

There is a difference between a meglomaniac and a predator. When he ran the Yankees, George Steinbrenner was clearly a meglomaniac, but it would have been a profound surprise if he had been accused of sexual assault. This is what was the case at Yea! That the CEO had control issues was known by everyone (and the organization was hamstrung), but what ultimately happened came out of nowhere.

• Like 1

I long have held in my heart that the art can be separated from the artist.  

I still believe this.

In the Cadets' case, however, after being reminded of the perpetual culture of the board/admin that fostered an environment conducive to all that's happened... 

... the tarnish is real.  

It's really hitting home today.  How can I watch a Cadets show with joy in my heart with the knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes? Or share with my students? Or wear my corps jacket?

In the abusers' case, the artists used the art to abuse.  Used us all

The art can stand alone, can stand the test of time.  Generations of young people can watch YT videos of Cadets shows forever, and it will mean something to them. 

But the joy, for me at least, is darkened.  They destroyed the lives of so many victims, and used the Cadets, all of us Cadets, to do it.  

Now that it's official, I'm glad the Cadets organization is done. 

At least today.  I don't know how I'll feel tomorrow. 

Edited by ranintothedoor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

In the abusers' case, the artists used the art to abuse.  Used us all

You have made a profound observation, one that goes to the core of why this is so disturbing and awful, even as the abuse on its own is a tragedy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marched4years said:

Are you speaking about the criminal trial?

yup.

while recording for DCAF tonight, an alum was on, and said in this situation it was like a loved one with a terminal disease...we knew in the fall it was coming, we just didn't know when. but when it happened it hurt a lot.

i've paraphrased, but i got the spirit of the statement. and for as snarky as we can be at DCAF, this one wasn't super snarky. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i suggest you read the Glass Door reviews. they lay it out well, as well as the myriad other places it's been documented by those who were there.

There is what you get second hand (like from Glass Door), and there is what actually happened. There is obviously overlap - most people don't just make stuff up - but those of us who saw the whole tragedy unfold in front of our own eyes have a unique perspective.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, kdaddy said:

The first section of This I Believe is about personal choice, and the early season text was waaaay more self-religion heavy. I can only assume that is rooted in whatever GH heard in that Hershey Ramada Inn ballroom.

I can only imagine he had a show scripted out and entitled…”His name is George, and this is what he said.”

• Like 1

Apologies for what might be an obvious answer to many byt unknown to me, but what is Glass Door that keeps being spoken about?

The more I read, the more I was right to get out of the activity! I started in 1971 and enjoyed 7 years in an Upstate NY corps that had one good year (1976). I worked with other corps and enjoyed my time but started disliking the activity in 2004 (WOW 20 years ago). If you weren't kissing someone's $#@ and making them feel special then you were no one. I should say, if you weren't feeding someone's ego, you were persona non grata. I walked away.

I love what the kids do on the field but unfortunately the "has been's" try to destroy it with their "This isn't Drum Corps" attitude. On the other side, the designers have to fuel their ego with artsy show's that don't really relate to the average drum corps fan. I remember someone I marched with in the 1970's and he would go to the parking lot of a contest and drink and not even go in to watch. 

I think if the activity is looking to survive, they may want to back up and look at the big picture of DCI and how can they bring back the DRUM CORPS NUTS!

• Like 1