DCA Stories Pre 1990

I believe it was the 88 Scranton show, at the old stadium, all competing Corps are going under the stands from the parking lot area and heading for the endzone for retreat lineup...Bush is on the field doing warm up. They are the last Corps of the evening to compete. You see Sky members milling about near the 20 yard line pointing out on the field at Bush .

Next thing, a Sky member walks on the field and coldcocks one of the Bush guys. POW!! right during the Corps introductions. Mickey runs across the field, yelling at the guy from Sky who calmly walks off the field , everyone else on the sidelines just sort of goes back about their business heading for retreat lineup, gun goes of, Bush does their show!

From what I was told , I guess the guy from Bush was caught with this guys girl...balhablah b;lah...Well. it wasn't the wierdest thing I have ever seen a DCA, but was strange. Was good foder for the parking lot after the show though!

Just to clear up the 1988 Scranton Regional Memory...Most of Vic's account is correct.

The Quad player was grabbing a sip from the water bottle I handed him. When he was done there was no one else to hand it to and we were moving down the track to set the opener. He tossed the bottle over his shoulder not knowing there was someone in uniform that was going to hit by the bottle...

I really dont think the bottle was thrown with any other pupose other than to get rid of it...

All i remember was the Skyliner coming over and grabbing him by the harness (I didnt see a punch) and then he was on the ground...

Well, i believe it was BUSH's first win that evening - and I also remember the drum line picking up the tempo just a little...

We did push for SKY to be fined $$ since a member in uniform crossed on to the field... Dont recall what happened to that...

Hope that Helps -

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

Ah...Hershey Stadium. Many great memories there. Fond memories for the Bucs and their fans. We always considered Hershey to be our "home field". The sight of some classic battles (no, not that kind) between the Bucs and Cabs. The Bucs won the show that night, the first victory of the '79 season, and the first time we beat the Cabs in nearly three years! We went on to an 8 or 9 show winning streak, broken by none other than the Cabs. I don't know which victory was sweeter though....that night in June or winning the DCA title on the same field a few weeks later!

Bucs also got booed off the field in Hershey in 74 when they beats Cabs. I remember and never felt so bad for a group of people as I did that night.

Reading that year was a head scratcher. I still can'at figure out how a corps that takes high drums and with that fabulous hornline could lose at finals.

OscarBuc

OscarBuc,

I'm a bit confused by your last statement. Are you referring to the Bucs in '74 or '79? I am sure you know the Bucs won DCA in 79, but I don't recall that we took high drums. And yes, we did have a "fabulous hornline" that year! The hornline was even better in '80 and '81.

I was referring (sic) to 74. They had an incredible horn line that year and for 1974 a show that could rival anything in DCI.

I'm sure they took high drum at finals in 74. I believe it was the last year that Flowers was with the Corps.

Hershey in 74 I fell in love.

OscarBuc

Speaking of the Carlisle show,

The year was 1985 and my former brother-in-law was getting married that weekend. I was in the wedding and told staff I was not going to be able to make the show. Of course back then I was always told YOU CANNOT EVER MISS A SHOW.

Well my response to that was " then put me on a plane and fly me to the show". #### if they didn't find someone. It was our business manger, who just happened to be a pilot. He said he was taking some additional training and would be able to get me to the show.

So after the wedding ceremony I rushed to Monroeville Airport, (12 miles east of Pittsburgh) and squeezed into a Cessna 172. Now never being on a plane before, it made the flight somewhat stressful. They told me it was a 4 seater, but only a cardboard cut-out of a person could have sat beside me.

To make a short story even longer, as we appraoched Carlisle we buzzed the stadium and then landed at the nearby airport, (after circling over Three Mile Island nuclear plant). I got into a waiting car and warmed up on the way to the stadium. I got there about 15 minutes before Steel City went on. The soprano who thought he had to cover for me was the happiest to see me that day.

That's right - I do recall Billy with that look of dread about him all day, tho he would have done well.

There is a rumor going around - at least en la casa de Zaragoza, that Marce and I are dieting so we can fit in our SCA jackets in anticipation of making the trip to Finals this year. Otherwise, we are just planning to partake in the DCA South shows.

I'm still working the chops in the hopes of marching again REAL soon, and certainly looking forward to a reunion of old friends on the 50 at finals retreat.

Barnum Festival 1980, George Parks and his famous mace are getting ready for the show ending high toss. He throws the mace up in the air and then he slips on the wet grass ( it rained earlier). Not only does he get up and catch it, he caught it behind his back. In my Skyliner uniform and all I had to give him a standing "O".

Check with Ski. Bucs took high drums that year. 81? Still the most talented hornline I've ever had the honor to listen to. I know alot of those guy (and girls) marched in 84 when I joined.

Sunrisers took High Drums in 1979 - Bucs had a great show to win DCA but not in drums. Sun also won drums in 1981.

Barnum Festival 1980, George Parks and his famous mace are getting ready for the show ending high toss. He throws the mace up in the air and then he slips on the wet grass ( it rained earlier). Not only does he get up and catch it, he caught it behind his back. In my Skyliner uniform and all I had to give him a standing "O".

87, Hagerstown...in his usual run to the stands, he slipped on the railing and fell, breaking his wrist.

in the rain/maelstrom that was prelims, one handed w/the bad handed coveredin plastic, he nailed every toss. ya had to give it up for him

Speaking of the Carlisle show,

The year was 1985 and my former brother-in-law was getting married that weekend. I was in the wedding and told staff I was not going to be able to make the show. Of course back then I was always told YOU CANNOT EVER MISS A SHOW.

Well my response to that was " then put me on a plane and fly me to the show". #### if they didn't find someone. It was our business manger, who just happened to be a pilot. He said he was taking some additional training and would be able to get me to the show.

So after the wedding ceremony I rushed to Monroeville Airport, (12 miles east of Pittsburgh) and squeezed into a Cessna 172. Now never being on a plane before, it made the flight somewhat stressful. They told me it was a 4 seater, but only a cardboard cut-out of a person could have sat beside me.

To make a short story even longer, as we appraoched Carlisle we buzzed the stadium and then landed at the nearby airport, (after circling over Three Mile Island nuclear plant). I got into a waiting car and warmed up on the way to the stadium. I got there about 15 minutes before Steel City went on. The soprano who thought he had to cover for me was the happiest to see me that day.

sad but both our airports here are near 3 Mile Island.