ALL Scouts Caption Heads Resign

The following was posted this morning in another thread by Mike Boo:

I received an e-mail from Scott Boerma just now. He requested that I pass along the following information. The following is extracted from his request and I forward it for informational purposes only.:

<< As of last evening, I have officially resigned as the Brass Arranger and Brass Co-Caption Head as has Mark Waymire as the Brass Co-Caption Head. Most of our brass staff members resigned last night as well. I have been with the Madison Scouts for 23 years (18 as the arranger), so it is with heavy heart that I did this.

The caption heads for all other captions have also resigned, as well as a significant number of instructors and administrative staff.

My purpose for this letter to you is simply that of information. Please feel free to share this information with anyone you know, be it online or through word of mouth.>>

The question is...who is in more trouble, Capital Regiment or the Scouts???

Of course, it is always sad to see ANY drum corps go through was Scouts have the last 5 or 6 years, and Capital Regiment's current woes are unsettling.

BUT...on the bright side, there are numerous examples of success stories of corps who have gone through very tough transitions of staff and management, and came out on the other side glowing. While most don't see this kind of mass exodus, look at SCV and their strong comeback after 2005 with a very new staff in many ways. Look at Phantom, who has taken a long time to climb back from their slip at the end of the 90's to become what they are today. Look at The Cavaliers after 1997 and what they have done this decade.

All the best to the Scouts as they start this offseason with a clean slate.

M

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a Board of Directors be FIRED?
Unfortunately, I think that's their only options. What could they do at this point to fix an obvious mistake by the Board???
I stand by my original post...the Madison Board of Directors have blown it!
THE BOARD BLEW IT!!
THE BOARD MEMBERS BLEW IT!
Or could it be that these folks feel that the Board has blown it? Could it be that this is their only way to convey this message? Could it be that they know a good man (Sal) has been released for unjust reasons?

So I'm 100% sure that you feel the board has blown it...is that the point I'm supposed to be getting from your posts? Cause I pretty much got it.

I got it.

and in that there is still a small chance that someone could emerge from this a leader and plug the hole in the sinking ship today... don't you at least want to wait

and see what move they make next?

This development is definately surprising...and in some ways very disappointing...however, I hope all this isn't just "knee-jerk" reactions to what has happened. I guess it's entirely possible that based upon what the new director has said, the majority of this staff would not be asked to come back, and therefore they decided to circumvent that with a resignation. Either way, I propose that NONE of us, including the current membership, have our own "knee-jerk" reactions to this information. I'm sad to see Boerma go along with a few others, but I'm not going to lie and say that I think that it's a 100% bad thing across the board. There were some people that I think DEFINATELY needed to go prior to this mass resignation. One of those resigned early on at the end of the season, thankfully.

Let's all quit insisting that the sky is falling. I'm sure things are set in motion that will smooth these things out....and perhaps that's why the board hasn't seen any need to address this TODAY, as many of you have called for.

I, for one, have faith...

BUT...on the bright side, there are numerous examples of success stories of corps who have gone through very tough transitions of staff and management, and came out on the other side glowing.

Or another example might be the Scouts 2003-06 under the leadership of DCIs '05 Director of the Year.

For a corps that seemed so attached to tradition, this has got to be a major blow. It doesn't mean they will sink, but they appear to be taking on water. I hope they pull through it and are able to tap into that magical connection they always seemed to have with the fans.

... don't you at least want to wait and see what move they make next?

No. Jumping to conclusions is more fun. :P

For those who say that the Board has handled the PR aspect of this horribly, I'd agree. On the other hand, I'd recommend that everyone consider that the primary rationale behind this decision to change direction may include information that really isn't in the realm of "need to know" for the average drum corps fan. Nothing scandalous, but nothing that any of us should really be concerning ourselves with unless we're in position of bearing fiduciary responsibility for the Madison Drum and Bugle Corps Assn, like the Board members who DID make the decision.

That being the case, doesn't it make sense for the community to back away a bit and let the Board reveal where they're going when they're ready to do so? Putting together the '07 Scouts will happen right on schedule, and the young men who'll emerge at the end of next season will be every bit as proud of their association with the corps as the thousands of others who've passed through in the last six decades.

I think that we're all overeacting too much. Anytime a CEO leaves a corporation he's going to take people with him, for better or worse, and the new CEO is going to want to bring in his own people on staff anyway. That's usually the way it works.

So you have some other examples from DCI history where something like this has happened? (Suncoast '89-'90?) Boerma stayed with the Scouts through the last shakeup, so something must be different this time.

I'm waiting for the "rest of the story," too, but I freely admit that I'm a little nervous for the Scouts.

Not that they'll listen to little ol' me, but my advice to the BoD would be to keep your members and supporters constantly informed of every development, and don't try to "spin" the information.

Edited by Orpheus