Corps Names

VERY interesting. I had NO idea Renegades came from the Shockwave "organization", and I use the term loosely. I remember that from SEVERAL years ago.

There were two Conquistador groups. One was the South San Francisco Conquistadors, where if you recall in 1987 VK's show we had the "bikini girl", it was the SF Conquistadors where she marched previous.

And then there was the Conquistadors down here, originally began as a youth band, then switched to a senior corps. Tim McElerney was the director, and I was at their first "staff meeting" to get things rolling as the senior corps. Unfortunately it didn't get off the ground. Tim and I ended up on the same board of directors with Impulse.

Funny this world of drum corps, eh?

Weren't you at a very early meeting with Rick Mann in San Diego that kinda started Pacific Sound??? I think that was where we first met, although we didn;t really talk much between each other.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shenandoah in Shenandoah Sound refers to the Shenandaoh valley where the corps was based in Winchester, VA until Tom decided to move it closer to his home in Sterling, VA around 2000-01.

......Yo...Doug....Luv ya Man....but this thread is not about Mini Corps. If'n it was you would be SOOOOOO incorrect anyway. If I misunderstood your intent I apologize. :blush:

Hey Mellie-Gene-What's the diff ???? "Drum Corps is Drum Corps".......What if you were not an offshoot of another corps as most ..... but birthed, as in our case ????? I'm sorry if I didn'y play by the rules. That's the way I understood the original question posted. How the name of one's corps came to be ??? Please correct me if I'm wrong......Doug :laugh:

well,,for old St.Joesph's of Batavia,I guess a pope gave him Sainthood, ,,,,,so I guess god gave us are name

Rochester Phoenix..That came from the legend of the bird rising out of the ashes

http://www.rochestercrusaders.org/mission.php

We were founded in 1947 by the Hilton Fire Department. Through a desire to provide a musical unit for their men to march behind, and at the same time realizing the problems of keeping young people occupied, the Hilton Fire Department organized the "Hilton Fire Department Drum and Bugle Corps". In 1964 a merger took place and the Crusaders became the Grey Knight Post Crusaders.

I marched with the Hilton Crusaders in 1959. Vince Bruni moved the corps to Irondequoit, NY in 1960 where we were known as the Fabulous Crusaders. They were part of the United Drum Corps organization he formed that year which included the Crusaders, Ridge Culver FD Statesmen, Irondequoit (the first Statesmen corps he was affiliated with) and the Alpine Girls, Irondequoit (who had Alpine style uniforms and musical selections.

Hmmm The CorpsVets were named by Ken Huff back in 1961 at Osborne High School. That is all that should be known.

:laugh:

Hey Mellie-Gene-What's the diff ???? "Drum Corps is Drum Corps".......What if you were not an offshoot of another corps as most ..... but birthed, as in our case ????? I'm sorry if I didn'y play by the rules. That's the way I understood the original question posted. How the name of one's corps came to be ??? Please correct me if I'm wrong......Doug :laugh:

And RIGHT you are Dougie :doh: My apologies. I guess I interprited (spl) the question the way I wanted to. My bad :(

Hmmm The CorpsVets were named by Ken Huff back in 1961 at Osborne High School. That is all that should be known.

:laugh:

Ummmm...no :P and even though some people may think so, nothing to do with the car either. Named after a combination of what makes senior corps great... Drum Corps Veterans - CorpsVets

VERY interesting. I had NO idea Renegades came from the Shockwave "organization", and I use the term loosely. I remember that from SEVERAL years ago.

Yes - but to go back to the beginning, Shockwave was "birthed" from an attempt to start a Northern/Southern CA combined corps that would have been called "California Gold". We were going to have separate rehearsals and then merge up for one mother of a performance somewhere. When the Gold concept faded, the Northern CA faction formed Shockwave.

I won't elaborate on the rift that blew up the Shockwave senior corps, but suffice it to say the drumline walked out and decided to form a new corps which was to be named "Aftershock", but that name was dropped because it was too antagonistic to members of the former corps. (FYI this was the last time the corps that became the Renegades ever shied away from being "too antagonistic".) There were two suggestions for the new name...the first was the Barbary Coast Corsairs, a pirate theme the genesis of which was the fact that San Francisco is sometimes referred to as the "Barbary Coast". "Renegades" was suggested by my friend Jim Roscoe, who marched in a Renegade corps in Boston in the '60s or '70s. The vote was almost unanimous - something like 11 to 1 in favor of the Renegades. The snare drummer who voted for "Corsairs" walked out and was never heard from again. He already had a pirate themed website created and merchandising concepts at the ready. Too bad he was ten years too early with the concept, because pirates are finally hot.

There were two Conquistador groups. One was the South San Francisco Conquistadors, where if you recall in 1987 VK's show we had the "bikini girl", it was the SF Conquistadors where she marched previous.

And then there was the Conquistadors down here, originally began as a youth band, then switched to a senior corps. Tim McElerney was the director, and I was at their first "staff meeting" to get things rolling as the senior corps. Unfortunately it didn't get off the ground. Tim and I ended up on the same board of directors with Impulse.

Tim and I went to the DCI Pacific meeting together in 1997 to pitch the idea of a senior corps circuit to perform at DCI shows. He was always quick to point out that he is prominently displayed on the Rose Parade mural at John Wayne Airport in Orange County. He is also a huge fan of the "Lethal Weapon" movies (just ask Lee Rudnicki about that).

Yes - but to go back to the beginning, Shockwave was "birthed" from an attempt to start a Northern/Southern CA combined corps that would have been called "California Gold". We were going to have separate rehearsals and then merge up for one mother of a performance somewhere. When the Gold concept faded, the Northern CA faction formed Shockwave.

I won't elaborate on the rift that blew up the Shockwave senior corps, but suffice it to say the drumline walked out and decided to form a new corps which was to be named "Aftershock", but that name was dropped because it was too antagonistic to members of the former corps. (FYI this was the last time the corps that became the Renegades ever shied away from being "too antagonistic".) There were two suggestions for the new name...the first was the Barbary Coast Corsairs, a pirate theme the genesis of which was the fact that San Francisco is sometimes referred to as the "Barbary Coast". "Renegades" was suggested by my friend Jim Roscoe, who marched in a Renegade corps in Boston in the '60s or '70s. The vote was almost unanimous - something like 11 to 1 in favor of the Renegades. The snare drummer who voted for "Corsairs" walked out and was never heard from again. He already had a pirate themed website created and merchandising concepts at the ready. Too bad he was ten years too early with the concept, because pirates are finally hot.

Tim and I went to the DCI Pacific meeting together in 1997 to pitch the idea of a senior corps circuit to perform at DCI shows. He was always quick to point out that he is prominently displayed on the Rose Parade mural at John Wayne Airport in Orange County. He is also a huge fan of the "Lethal Weapon" movies (just ask Lee Rudnicki about that).

Thank the gods, Renegades won.

I could not imagine the uniforms we would have to wear as the Barbary Coast Corsairs.