John Williams and The Cadets

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, his main theme for the Harry Potter movies is essentially his own theme to Schindler's List, of all things, set as a waltz.

But, yeah Horner swipes from all over the place, including himself. These swipings aside, he constantly recycles little bits and pieces from his earlier work--compare Star Trek II and Aliens, for instance.

Williams is clearly influenced by other composers--he admits borrowing from Holst in the Star Wars liner notes--but he generally doesn't blatantly lift themes the way Horner and Zimmer do.

I happened to catch Clear and Present danger on TV last month and noticed that he used the music from the begining of Aliens in it as well.

Edited by year1buick

I happed to catch Clear and Present danger on TV last month and noticed that he used the music from the begining of Aliens in it as well.
The first time I saw The Rocketeer, a friend with me commented about 3/4 of the way through that he was amazed that Horner hadn't ripped himself off yet (My musical background isn't strong enough to know if he swiped from anyone else). And we got to end of the movie, and we started going "You're on a roll, Horner, don't choke." And then right at the end of the closing credits, he swiped almost verbatim an extended brass flourish from Star Trek II. And he was SOOOO close . . . ;)

Actually I don't know who you are. I don't really care either.

No problem. I'll ignore you from now on.

(Edited because there just wasn't a need for it...mea culpa).

LOL!! See what happens when you get a real life and stop being a regular on DCP (and RAM*) ! No one knows Nikk anymore!!

hmm.. I'm sure this was meant tongue-in-cheek but it struck a nerve with me here... let's see

<list deleted>

Not too many Oscars, granted, but a fine body of work and some bona-fide classics. History will treat him well I think.

Glad someone caught that...

I will not be subjected to people who respond to others with cold hard facts. Couldn't you just call him stupid or something?

...I'd hate someone to think I was stupid or something.

John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and Danny Elfman are great. :)

You can add James Newton Howard to the list as (At least for me anyway)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance if this is the case, but I have to know.

Everyone knows that while John Williams does not forbid the arrangement of his music, it is extremely difficult to gain the rights to.

However, is not the Cadets corps song "Cadillac of the Skies" by John Williams, from the movie 'Empire of the Sun?"

Can anyone tell me why this is? Did they decide to pay a large amount of money (ridiculous amount) once so that they could play his song over and over, or does Williams have a soft spot for the Cadets, or what?

I thought about this many times, and just decided to post it.

John T. Williams wrote the music to Empire of the Sun.

One thing a dont like about the Cadets is that when presenting Cadillac of the Skies they usually mention that Jay B. arranged it.....they always fail to say that it was written by John Williams. I think there are a lot of people out there who think Jay B. wrote it....and that is simply not true......

Regarding arranging rights and such, I have no clue. But Cadets also played "Far and Away" in 1995. (Also a Williams piece).

The Cadets also played a few pieces off one of John William Olympics CD's for their 2002 show.....

John T. Williams wrote the music to Empire of the Sun.

One thing a dont like about the Cadets is that when presenting Cadillac of the Skies they usually mention that Jay B. arranged it.....they always fail to say that it was written by John Williams. I think there are a lot of people out there who think Jay B. wrote it....and that is simply not true......

I think most people with any sort of musical background know the difference between arranging and composing a piece.

Regarding arranging rights and such, I have no clue. But Cadets also played "Far and Away" in 1995. (Also a Williams piece).

And The Reivers and Born on the Fourth of July and 1941.

By the way, just a general comment, to remember how many HUNDREDS of hours of music these film composers have written, you can't expect them not to be influenced both by all other composers as well as their own past work. Also, there are only so many different combinations of notes and rhythms, stuff's gonna sound alike sometimes...especially when you deal with flourishes and fanfare themes. I'm not saying more blatant stealing doesn't go on, just a general comment...