Dark Horse

Unless Boston does some major Major MAJOR work on their show, The Academy is going to take their spot. The Academy will continue to flesh out their program, which will further them more from Boston. They are my 12th pick for finals.

I don't either. There show is too easy relative to their competition (Sorry Mate, The Academy is very good at making it look Easy!)

Sorry Mate, I know easier when I see easier. The excuse for easy is they make it look easy, and that doesn't always fly, and it doesn't fly here. That being said, it is better designed than BAC's show, and I'd rather watch an easier show that is better designed than a more challenging show that is not as well designed.

Let's not forget what happened to Madison 2010-2014 - well designed shows (except 2014), less demanding than their competition, passed up finals week every single year. I think something like this a big possibility for Academy this year. There are corps below them with more demanding programs, and thus with more room to grow. I personally would love to see Academy make finals. It would be great to see a corps make it in for the first time.

Edited by henry7184

Unless Boston does some major Major MAJOR work on their show, The Academy is going to take their spot. The Academy will continue to flesh out their program, which will further them more from Boston. They are my 12th pick for finals.

I actually don't think that academy will be 12th in finals. I think they will beat someone in finals. I'm calling 10th or 11th. I do think Boston is out. The show falls pretty short I'm afraid. In my opinion The Academy has one of the better total shows this year. Crown, bloo, devs, Cavs, past those Corps, I think the academy programming is put together better than the rest, to me it's up at that top level of design/programming (not talking about difficulty, just inception and follow through). I like the total involvement and complete story/emotional journey that they give us. Hands down top tier design, and designed to compete with the talent they have. A perfect combo. I don't see that in most of the other finalist programs. The total package it seems, is present with the Academy this year. I truly think it will get rewarded! If phantom regiment did this show with these music selections( granted the difficulty would be raised a bit) The crowd would be in the palm of their hands. And everyone would be talking about them. Unfortunately I don't know of many people talking about the other perceived finalists, like they do the academy. It is something to talk about. So many memorable ideas! And that speaks volumes. We need more corps with this kind of totally thought out programming. Most corps leave me scratching my head in wonder at the misses In programming choices. Don't get me wrong they are-Great drum corps... But not great shows, academy is almost the opposite. A growing young drum corps with one of my favorite shows this decade. Probably the only goosebumps I really get from anyone this year. And that is a result of total programming, that is cohesive and engaging from beginning/middle and all the way to the end. Go academy. Get clean clean clean. The next 20 days should be super exciting. And everyone knows the show alone won't get you in. It's merely the vehicle you drive to finals. How well you drive is just as important!

• Like 1

I actually don't think that academy will be 12th in finals. I think they will beat someone in finals. I'm calling 10th or 11th. I do think Boston is out. The show falls pretty short I'm afraid. In my opinion The Academy has one of the better total shows this year. Crown, bloo, devs, Cavs, past those Corps, I think the academy programming is put together better than the rest, to me it's up at that top level of design/programming (not talking about difficulty, just inception and follow through). I like the total involvement and complete story/emotional journey that they give us. Hands down top tier design, and designed to compete with the talent they have. A perfect combo. I don't see that in most of the other finalist programs. The total package it seems, is present with the Academy this year. I truly think it will get rewarded! If phantom regiment did this show with these music selections( granted the difficulty would be raised a bit) The crowd would be in the palm of their hands. And everyone would be talking about them. Unfortunately I don't know of many people talking about the other perceived finalists, like they do the academy. It is something to talk about. So many memorable ideas! And that speaks volumes. We need more corps with this kind of totally thought out programming. Most corps leave me scratching my head in wonder at the misses In programming choices. Don't get me wrong they are-Great drum corps... But not great shows, academy is almost the opposite. A growing young drum corps with one of my favorite shows this decade. Probably the only goosebumps I really get from anyone this year. And that is a result of total programming, that is cohesive and engaging from beginning/middle and all the way to the end. Go academy. Get clean clean clean. The next 20 days should be super exciting. And everyone knows the show alone won't get you in. It's merely the vehicle you drive to finals. How well you drive is just as important!

Some great points in here - and it reads like a primer to show designers. But the thing is, don't all designers believe, at least at first, that they have a show that accomplishes all that you mention - given the respective level of talent in the corps?

Whether or not a show is going to be a hit or not is pretty difficult to know ahead of time.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

I think that the reference of a "dark horse" in this season with respect to a winner... must refer to either BD, Crown or Coats spending Quarters and Semis in 3rd place and then making a jump to 1. I doubt very much that there is much room as these shows are written to consider a different scenario than that.

Pleas don't forget

Boston has been in the top 12 hunt before and they know what it takes during finals week .

Sometimes the best designed show does not always get in .

Based on last night, Blue Knights look like their ready to pass Phantom and soon, Cavaliers.

Not Cavaliers, not this year. Cavaliers are closer to Cadets and SCV than BK is to Cavaliers...