DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

I kind of gotta wonder will it really? I mean fair weather fans seem to pitch their temper tantrums for a little while on stuff. Lots said they would be out when it went Bb. Then they said they would be out on the NArration and Singing. Then they said they would be out on electronics. Then they said they would be out on Mic'ed soloist. But yet here we are.

I feel certain there will be die hards that will leave on the wood wind issue.. YOU ARE LOOKING AT ONE OF THEM. I mean for the most part DCI has left me for the most part anyways. I do NOT travel to shows anymore. I use to go to about 5 a year. Now I catch 1!!! the MTSU show. And this year I did not even attend that. I feel the activity has grown into something I do not recognize with anymore. Many of the peeps that I use to go to the shows with and hang out with don't go anymore either and that was one of the driving factors for going to so many shows.

IMO..You are 100 % right...Yes people will leave ( I for one dont want to see or hear WWs ) BUT the tantrum will and has happened many will leave ( probably were on the verge for dozens of reasons ready to leave anyway ) then it will be business as usual. Many have to admit , like it or not we have heard this over many many many issues right from the start back in 1972 which YES there was a mass exodus of many many people when DCI was formed, then there was this aint drum corps period, ( no not now back in the 70s ) then NO GUARD COSTUMES that dont match the corps . I can go on and on and on in every decade to today but will spare everyone. NOW , you know those opposed especially those who Hop ran over their cat or something will pipe on and give their opinions ( and entitled to , i guess ) how this is different,,,,,yeah , yeah, heard it all before on dozens of subjects from electronics, to the pit, to #### plume heights or color choices........................ARE WE LOSING PEOPLE...YES FOR SURE. personally I dont believe any more than usual, NOW are we replacing them, well maybe not so much for lots of reasons but that can be reasons from other things to do, money,less community a faster pace of life much more complex than it was 20 , 30, 40 years ago.

I still see people confusing Hops statement about education. The corps educates .. DCI should not. DCI is a company ... the corps are the educational product. It's just that simple. And Hop was saying .... DCI don't mess with doing seminars or whatever you're planning ... that's OUR job. Simple.

I also love seeing these threads that have a sliver of proof from those in the know ... and 99% conjecture from those of us who are trying to poke the bear cage and get someone to come out of the woodwork and tell us what's really going on. Fact is, that will never happen. They will disclose the end result when it happens ... or they won't. Meantime ... yah.

• Like 1

Well, many here (me included) don't think the current pay/tour structure is viable in the long run. So, I ask, assuming DCI cannot 'fix this', how does it all end?

The actvity itself was never designed, nor intended to be a "money factory". The activity was a volunteer effort for kids as an offshoot of veteran organizations, lodges, schools, parishes, etc.

It's like designing and building a simple raft for a small pond and wondering why it doesn't hold up in heavy ocean travel.

DCI itself, as the business enitity--did not build the simple raft or direct it out of the pond; but yet are asked to keep it afloat in an ocean. Hence, one would think the raft bulders would have to look at themselves.......and place the raft they built where it was intended to be successful; in the small pond.

• Like 1

Well, many here (me included) don't think the current pay/tour structure is viable in the long run. So, I ask, assuming DCI cannot 'fix this', how does it all end?

I agree that it can't be fixed, it can just be dealt with, and my guess is that the G7 concept will more or less end up happening by default, with a small number of national touring supercorps (probably 12 to 15, rather than 7), and a number of smaller, regional corps that focus on weekend drum corps.

So the followup to that is - why would that be a bad thing?

If the activity decided to embrace the idea that the all-summer tour is backbreaking work, and that the growth potential for drum corps is in cheaper, lighter, faster moving local corps, why would that be a failure?

It sort of sucks that the rollout of Soundsport was such a wet f_rt, because THAT is really where DCI should be putting a huge amount of development energy. The concept has all of the advantages of the WGI mindset; indoor performance potential, free form rules, and any high school in the country can participate. Hopkins is totally wrong in discounting the potential value of SoundSport and DLB in terms of developing participation and players - if anything, THAT's what the future of the activity probably looks like, more than outdoors drum corps.

In terms of the Boardroom battle, my guess is that sometime in the next year or two, the Board members of the various member corps will take the lead in changing the construct of how DCI does business. Word is that they're already feeling like the DCI Board is broken and they're ready to push for a change. And since their organizations, not their corps directors, are the 'members' of DCI, they have the power to do it.

I still see people confusing Hops statement about education. The corps educates .. DCI should not. DCI is a company ... the corps are the educational product. It's just that simple. And Hop was saying .... DCI don't mess with doing seminars or whatever you're planning ... that's OUR job. Simple.

I also love seeing these threads that have a sliver of proof from those in the know ... and 99% conjecture from those of us who are trying to poke the bear cage and get someone to come out of the woodwork and tell us what's really going on. Fact is, that will never happen. They will disclose the end result when it happens ... or they won't. Meantime ... yah.

Something you, and apparently Hopkins, 'seem' to not understand: Since the inception in 1972 DCI has never been a separate organizational body sanctioning events for independent corps; the collective (ie combine) voting Corps always have been, and currently are, DCI. While the director of an individual corps involved with DCI can make some independent decisions apart from DCI, the underlying issue is that DCI cannot make decisions apart from the individual corps involved in DCI. Thus, by definition, DCI is just as much an educational body as the collective member corps, because the member corps themselves are DCI. And therein is the built in conflict of interest a corps director has when serving on the Board of DCI which I addressed a few posts back.

So did Hopkins resign from the board of directors? Or is it just rumor and conjecture? There has a lot of allusions to a letter stating as such that's making the rounds among those apparently in-the-know, but nothing about Hopkins' resignation seems to have surfaced on social media, DCI's site or the YEA/Cadets site.

If woodwinds were allowed, would corps be penalized for not using them? I.e., would there be a woodwinds judge, or would the brass judge become the all-winds judge?

Or would those corps who did use them find they were getting lower scores vs. those who didn't because the judges had to strain to hear them?

So did Hopkins resign from the board of directors? Or is it just rumor and conjecture? There has a lot of allusions to a letter stating as such that's making the rounds among those apparently in-the-know, but nothing about Hopkins' resignation seems to have surfaced on social media, DCI's site or the YEA/Cadets site.

I was thinking the same thing.

To be honest though, I could see him threatening to do it so that people try and talk him out of it, and then he'll come back and be even more off his rocker.

If woodwinds were allowed, would corps be penalized for not using them?

Did corps ever get penalized for not using Bb ?

I am sure you will get the politically correct answer from the hard and fast saying of course not that the brass were judged on tone quality and performance issues.

But I guarantee you if you played on G bugles you were penalized for using them.

Same will happen with WW.