Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Interesting to hear the judge still call them sopranos and contras. Wonder how long that stuck around among that community.

It's not every day you get to hear a new recording of Cadets 2000 (this makes the fourth one I know of floating around, that I've been able to find over the past 12 years. Haven't been able to find quarters or semis either.) Best drum corps show. Would love to see them return to a show design like this for next year and see how it would do. Why not?

Hell, what more do they have to lose if they came up with a show like this again? I believe nothing. If it makes the crowd go bonkers, I'm all for it.

I always like to hear different recordings of that show. There are a lot of things that I hear in different recordings that I don't hear as well in the finals recording. If anyone knows of any other recordings, I'd love to get a hold of them. I wish there were video recordings of the show prior to finals as well. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

and lose the officiant 

being screamed at to pray isn't appropriate or effective in a football stadium setting 

Since,both the officiant and what he says are in the source music.there is that balance of what limits the Bernstein office imposed and what play the design team has to re-structure for the competitive field. As we aren't privy to five months of meetings in NYC and then the developing design dialogues, none of us can be sure but GH and Drew.  i' don't disagree with you about the yelling. It's abrupt in the original as well.

The pit outfits are not really a large problem without solution. What they are wearing can be tailored with scissors for length and sleeves. Or replaced outright. I suspect that is not the crux problem with the percussion scoring and ranking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Since,both the officiant and what he says are in the source music.there is that balance of what limits the Bernstein office imposed and what play the design team has to re-structure for the competitive field. As we aren't privy to five months of meetings in NYC and then the developing design dialogues, none of us can be sure but GH and Drew.  i' don't disagree with you about the yelling. It's abrupt in the original as well.

The pit outfits are not really a large problem without solution. What they are wearing can be tailored with scissors for length and sleeves. Or replaced outright. I suspect that is not the crux problem with the percussion scoring and ranking.

I doubt that's a deal breaker 

the pit visual is an issue, no one said its the only issue

Edited by George Dixon

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

I'd be interesting to hear what the judges are saying, because I can't believe judges aren't advising them to lose the robes on the hornline. They should just stick with the maroon top and cream pants and leave it at that. The robes just make them look dirtier IMO.

I don't know that they need to lose them entirely, but for sure they need to take them off much sooner as they make the drill look like a big blob. Look #2, from the high cam, looks much like the classic Cadets uniform - I want to see more of it!

Edited by ShortAndFast
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Since,both the officiant and what he says are in the source music.there is that balance of what limits the Bernstein office imposed and what play the design team has to re-structure for the competitive field.

Another reason I question the logic of the whole Bernstein deal

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Interesting to hear the judge still call them sopranos and contras. Wonder how long that stuck around among that community.

It's not every day you get to hear a new recording of Cadets 2000 (this makes the fourth one I know of floating around, that I've been able to find over the past 12 years. Haven't been able to find quarters or semis either.) Best drum corps show. Would love to see them return to a show design like this for next year and see how it would do. Why not?

I think it'd be good for them if they did. The crowds would love it, and it could do well competitively.