Carolina Crown 2017

I watched Crown's show a couple of times and I may be in the minority (of which I am fine with), but I think this show will be top 3 in the end.  It is a musical and visual beast!  I totally dig the deconstruction concept as that is exactly what this show does from the ballad to the end.  I think the show has one of the most demanding musical books ever put on the field and they sound like this and its just 6/18/2017.  I am excited to see where they go with this show through the season.

• Like 8

to be honest....watched the preview and felt rather underwhelmed...then listened to it again and you know...those feelings went away...it's so unique....and yet still undeniably Crown. It's going to be a monster of a show. 

Edited by msumello
  • Like 3

Maybe this was covered already but I'm gathering the white poles put up during the ballad represent the yard lines lifting up off of the field? Cool effect if so, but I think it may be more effective if they had one for every yard line. Perhaps more are coming or there's a reason for their sporadic placement. 

Show has potential for sure.  I will say that the big power moment in the ballad isn't hitting from an orchestration standpoint and I think that's partially because there's no real change in the vocalperformance from the beginning to the end of that segment.  It's too "safe", so to speak.  Could also stand to jump the key up to lend it more gravitas.  Maybe throw down some vocal engineering effects from the pit as well.  Experiment!

Honestly the best possible impact there if you want vocals would be if you could get a full SSAA or SATB choir going for the segment to go with the full brass section.  "For Good" was a duet that worked because in that segment they vocalists had a lot of weaving lines over top of each other that built the dramatic tension, and since it's just a solo here you don't quite get that.  Nothing is added to make the moment stand out and so the solo voice against power brass isn't working quite right there.  Plenty of time to mess around with it, but just a general observation.

1 minute ago, eightyonepointthree said:

Singing is good.  Lasts too long.  Got tired of hearing it after about two minutes.

The vocalist is excellent, but for me, the problem was the vocals after the solo at the end. I love it when Crown ends a show and you're bathed in the beauty of its brass, so I'd be happy for just brass and percussion after the solo. That being said, the quality of the video I saw on YouTube was not great, so I reserve the right to change my mind if I'm wowed on Thursday night when I see it on the big screen and hear it in surround sound.

As someone fairly new to drum corps, I have a judging question:  How much scoring weight is given to soloists, especially the main soloist?  If they are having a bad night - crack a note or two, have pitch problems in a few places - how badly does that affect the scoring?  Is there a specific place to score soloists?  Thanks for your input.

The uniforms look GREAT on the field, the Crown brass virtuosity remains, and the percussion won't hold them down. But, the show is a little too "heavy" for me. No frisbee throwing this year!  Most concerning here is such heavy use of the vocalist.  I did a quick timing of her participation. It was about 5 minutes of the vocalist on a higher layer than the rest of the corps. As if brass and percussion were a huge back-up band at a stadium concert headlined by a female artist.

Nevertheless, Crown will be a major player at the top, I'm sure.  They ARE excellent, just different.

I like the show so far. I HATE the singing. I can't really stand singing in drum corps in general. As usual, Crown's brassline continues to have me in a padded room screaming for mother. Can't wait to hear them live. 

• Like 2