Carolina Crown 2017

All I'm gonna say is that for those saying this is Crown's Cabaret Voltaire... atleast that show owned up to being about nothing and didn't have narration completely cover the corps lol

• Like 3

After watching the preview video, I'm wanting to like this show so bad, but something's off with it for me. I think it's the singer... imo they could have used a member to play her part as a solo it would make so much more sense. She reminded of me of the singer for troopers 2015. It appears they're missing a few minutes as well? I know the ending is a recapitulation of the Bach. Maybe it just sounded different in an earlier video. I GUESS I can see the comparisons to cabaret voltaire.. cabaret was however way weirder and... way more "bad ###". It was "cool". This show has cool moments ruined by a Disney-esque movie ballad it's a major cringe to me. Idk. They sound good as always however guess there's that!

EDIT: I get the concept, why they chose that ballad song, but it's still a poor choice to me. They could've done it many other ways to get the same point across. The show as of now to me is classic crown runs and drill major energy and excitement, the MOST random ballad that only makes sense if you listen to the lyrics...instead of you know, the brass, then back to crazy and energetic, bam shows over. Just a disconnect for me.

Edited by johnpendell
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

Long post incoming. 

So the biggest question I've been seeing for "It Is" has been about why "For Good" was included and is done the way it is (I'm assuming everyone knows about the singing at this point).

"For Good" represents the other corps who have made permanent changes in the activity... I think. 

Let's look at the structure of the show. We start off very traditional Carolina Crown: Little Fugue into Crown Imperial into the other stuff that I don't remember since I don't recognize the titles. That's Crown 101, it's textbook. Even the drill is signature Crown. 

Then we get to the ballad and the metamorphosis happens. If you listen to the lyrics, you'll know it's about starting off as one thing and ending up as someone else through the encounters with others. The lush brass arrangements have that trademark Crown beauty, but it's layered beneath the vocalist. She sings that she doesn't know if she's "been changed for the better" (to which the brass replies with the "I have been changed for the better" line). This song connects the past Crown to the current/future Crown and the lyrics exemplify this acknowledgement of the passing of the torch. 

Revitalized and inspired by the change of those who have left "a handprint on [their] heart," Crown goes into a further departure and pulls from way out of left field with Akiho, showing that they are changed "For Good." We do get a small recap of Little Fugue to acknowledge they are still Crown and they haven't forgotten themselves, but the Akiho shows the next step forward potentially. 

I didn't read the full announcement, but I think it pointed out change and deconstruction of identity. Not only is "For Good" not absolutely useless and awful because of the singing, but it is the point of the show where this change occurs. 

Tldr: "For Good" shows the change in acknowledgement of the other corps and design, showcased by the lyrics. Crown goes from "It Was" to "It Is." We have two "Metamorph" shows this year.

so crown, scv, and bd all doing different interpretations of the same concept this year? 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

so crown, scv, and bd all doing different interpretations of the same concept this year? 

To some extent, it looks like it is possible 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

so at finals all 3 corps will run back on the field and we'll find out the "silvery glitter guy" from BK 2016 had this planned all along as the "great event" and he will conduct them in a medley of all 3 shows played simultaneously - a signal which will call the mother ship down from orbit and landing in the parking lot

DCI will finally become world famous, to which GE guru Michael Cesario will pronounce "it's like taking a bath in slime green alien blood" - THE END

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

so at finals all 3 corps will run back on the field and we'll find out the "silvery glitter guy" from BK 2016 had this planned all along as the "great event" and he will conduct them in a medley of all 3 shows played simultaneously - a signal which will call the mother ship down from orbit and landing in the parking lot DCI will finally become world famous, to which GE guru Michael Cesario will pronounce "it's like taking a bath in slime green alien blood" - THE END

Clash of the Corps season 2 finale???

I just envisioned this and I can't stop laughing. Make this a thing please.

Edited by kinetic inferno11
  • Like 1

My opinion:

Great uniform (or costuming), great show. However, the "For Good" section is lackluster. It would be better without the vocalist (although she does exceptionally well). The vocalist fits in perfectly to "No One."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

Because so many people including crown gets butt hurt about posting links on here etc. but I'll post it anyway the season is here. 

Interesting show.