THE ACADEMY 2017

6 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Love the uniform. Can't wait to see the top hats on the field.

Not sure about this show, but I felt the exact same way last year. Looking forward to passing my own judgement after seeing it performed.

So much for the Academy " following the leader " ( Bluecoats ) and going hatless. Heck, Academy is responding by going BIGGER and BOLDER on their hats for this season. Good for them !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

They might leave that decision to the audience.  Which be an awesome level of design maturity.  

I TOTALLY get doubts and concerns about it being corny but they totally proved they know how to do this and make balance it perfectly last year.  I've got full confidence in them to do it tastefully but enjoyably.  

Setting aside for a moment the costuming chosen for Academy for this summer, little mention so far has been mentioned about the music listed. Lots of very appealing music here, imo. And Michael Klesch certainly knows how to write appealing and fan friendly music, imo. So this has all the promise of a fun show... provided of course it strikes the right balance between camp and cheese.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Love the uniform. Can't wait to see the top hats on the field.

Not sure about this show, but I felt the exact same way last year. Looking forward to passing my own judgement after seeing it performed.

I'm liking the vaguely Mad Hatter vibe too.

latest?cb=20100417021634

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

So much for the Academy " following the leader " ( Bluecoats ) and going hatless. Heck, Academy is responding by going BIGGER and BOLDER on their hats for this season. Good for them !

Yup. Exciting to see.

If anyone can sell a cheesy show well, it's The Academy. I remember thinking "oh god...Mary Poppins?  Really?"  

But come July I was singing along with them. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

If anyone can sell a cheesy show well, it's The Academy. I remember thinking "oh god...Mary Poppins?  Really?"  

But come July I was singing along with them. 

I love how, since 2014, they've been filling the void of great lighthearted shows that the Bridgemen and the original Velvet Knights had created when they fell through a while back. I am so excited to see what the Academy will do to bring the Bugs & Elmer plot to life!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Very Aristocratic, upper crust nobility look, imo. If they go hunting animals in their show this year, do we cheer for the Aristocrats here... or the running Rabbits ? Just asking, just curious, thats all.

in the battle between the Aristocrats and the hunted animals, I'm guessing the Aristocrats here in the top hat and tails get " outfoxed " by the smarter animals in the show ( and do the rich REALLY hunt in such fancy clothes,  multi colored vests, top hat, tails, etc on fast galloping hunting horses ? ). But... time will tell if the Aristocrats win or the smarter little creatures in the woods and highlands here win the battle between the Aristocrats and the myriad of running rabbits and other assorted little ones out and about. We can look back after the season and find out how wrong we were on the theme too... lol!

Has this show been PETA  approved?  Gotta have all those />#&$$ licenses today....

This has the potential to be an intriguing and entertaining show. It will be a challenging year for the corps, making finals for a second year, but it looks like a good choice for the corps and the audience will love it.