Why are drum corps shows and titles so pretentious?

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

I usually don't feel this way but there is one corps in particular this year who is getting pretty.......lengthy trying to describe their show.   And I'm still not sure what it's supposed to mean.  

Gee, I wonder who it is?

• Like 3

Let the designers have their fun. These descriptions are basically the only time they get to talk about their creation publicly. 

• Like 2

I don't mind explanations about shows.  I actually would LOVE to see the one paged description that judges get from the corps (am I remembering that right???).  It would probably help me out with some.  Some just get.........extra.  

I love the video Troopers put out today of Robert W. Smith explaining part one of the show in pretty straight forward terms and talking about the music they are using.  That was nice.  I'd love to see more stuff like that.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

No doubt there are some pretentious show titles.  But over the years I have had less problem with show titles and more of a problem with bad show design.  In some cases corps are trying to show how clever and artistic they can be with a show title.  Almost every year we get a few shows where, no matter how bad the title, the show is even worse. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

I personally don't mind it. it's very, idk, post-post-modern. or meta-modern. Opting for an experience rather than a narrative. The description is supposed to help fill in the gap for the audience to understand the designer's intent. Of course a person can still enjoy a show without the description, and people are left to interpret the show as they see fit. This is why I have thoroughly enjoyed BK over the last few years. 

Sure, its just people walking around in funny ways on a football field playing notes and throwing things. I don't see how this is supposed to take away from how a person feels watching a well done (performed, staged, designed) show.