The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm home.  Gonna have my review up late tonight.  

......and I can't really think of many negatives.  I was so so so impressed top to bottom.  

I'm sure it'll be too long.  But oh well!  Haven't read through this thread, interested in what everyone else thought.  

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

48 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm home.  Gonna have my review up late tonight.  

......and I can't really think of many negatives.  I was so so so impressed top to bottom.  

I'm sure it'll be too long.  But oh well!  Haven't read through this thread, interested in what everyone else thought.  

Make yourself a stiff drink before you wade through all this ... it will help!

And thank you for alerting us all to Legends' plight ... I would not have known  if you didn't bring it up on the World Class discussion board ... and because you did, many of us helped Legends achieve their goal!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, ContraFart said:

And don't come at me with that don't blame the MM crap. I never say a single negative word against the performers and to insinuate that my issues have anything to do with anything other than the judging system is insulting.

Of course not. It is the old "I didn't mean you weren't good at what you do. I meant what you do isn't worth doing." Sorry, when you complain about the judging (I.e. They didn't deserve to win) you ARE insulting the performers.

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I mean, if I say that BD last year deserved to win the championship, have I just insulted Bloo's members?

Um, yes. You would be saying they got a gift...that they didn't earn it. And if I were them, I would say GFY (if I were them).

2 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I just landed at the San Antonio airport. Am I too late for the show?!? Lol

Just missing the rain? It looked like it was about to unload, but we were heading into a movie just as it was about to hit. Looks dry now so I can't tell if we actually got any.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

In retrospect, I feel as though we are finally seeing other corps establish themselves by doing what BD chose to do a decade ago.

Which is to find a style, a way of designing shows, and building only within those parameters.

And we are seeing those design styles be rewarded, consistently, by the judging community.

We now have to address things that up to now have not been a part of scoring, in terms of difficulty. Some of the things some corps are doing, as a part of their style, in the past may have been scored as less demanding than other ways of getting there from here. DCI must address this, as they did a decade or so ago, or fans will become jaded and cynical about the competition itself.

The use of electronics is headed to a scoring category.

Follow the leader, long felt to be something less difficult than marching formations, will have to be reevaluated. Because the way Bluecoats is doing it is ###### hard to do well.

Again, just as BD convinced DCI that guard, jazz running and dramatic story telling had to be valued, and assymetical marching drills, these are things that also need to be re-valued.

I doubt this re-evaluation will have much impact on the top of the activity. But, it will encourage corps to step out of their styles more, and try new ways to do things. And hopefully, far more importantly, it's critical to expand the activity to allow more opportunity for up and coming corps to find their own niche.

Absolutely 100% THIS! I don't believe Electronics will have their own caption, but this is a perfect explanation of how the activity has evolved in recent years, and where it is going in the future. The most important thing at this point is to make sure the judges focus on what the corps they are judging is doing, and NOT using one judging template to evaluate the diverse landscape of designs.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Make yourself a stiff drink before you wade through all this ... it will help!

And thank you for alerting us all to Legends' plight ... I would not have known  if you didn't bring it up on the World Class discussion board ... and because you did, many of us helped Legends achieve their goal!

I'm so tired lol.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

In retrospect, I feel as though we are finally seeing other corps establish themselves by doing what BD chose to do a decade ago.

Which is to find a style, a way of designing shows, and building only within those parameters.

And we are seeing those design styles be rewarded, consistently, by the judging community.

We now have to address things that up to now have not been a part of scoring, in terms of difficulty. Some of the things some corps are doing, as a part of their style, in the past may have been scored as less demanding than other ways of getting there from here. DCI must address this, as they did a decade or so ago, or fans will become jaded and cynical about the competition itself.

The use of electronics is headed to a scoring category.

Follow the leader, long felt to be something less difficult than marching formations, will have to be reevaluated. Because the way Bluecoats is doing it is ###### hard to do well.

Again, just as BD convinced DCI that guard, jazz running and dramatic story telling had to be valued, and assymetical marching drills, these are things that also need to be re-valued.

I doubt this re-evaluation will have much impact on the top of the activity. But, it will encourage corps to step out of their styles more, and try new ways to do things. And hopefully, far more importantly, it's critical to expand the activity to allow more opportunity for up and coming corps to find their own niche.

I'm a little confused by this.  Corps should find a style that is rewarded by the sheets, but they should be encouraged to step out of their styles more?   Seems contradictory.  Are you saying once a successful design and unique style is established  the corps should then abandon that idea?