The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

I'm wondering if there might be a wholesale name change to the org as a means of completely cutting away from the issue once all is said and done.

No matter how it settles out, no matter if Hop and the entire BoD and instructional staff leave, even with everything gone but thee equipment and a new group of leaders top to bottom, the name of the Cadets is tainted...possibly beyond repair.

A new BoD, director, staff, etc, might choose to rename the org to get a fresh start.   Might be easier than trying to rehab the name.

I hate saying this but they might actually have to “burn it all down and start over” 

I hate that, I don’t want that. I don’t there to be an * next to The Cadets for the rest of history. 

But, at this point, with the allegations and the way the Board of Directors are acting, this might have to happen. I just hope DCI (if and when) they have to make the decision do it. 

Just now, 84BDsop said:

Refuse to allow them to attend shows comes to mind, as does not paying them their appearance fees if the DO perform.

And that’s really all they can do. They can’t force the organization to be different or take them over or anything. They can help guide the organization but there shouldn’t be a misconception that DCI can just swoop in and save the day. DCI shouldn’t own YEA’s mess but should just support them if they ask for help.

• Thanks 1

We need to believe and honor the bravery of the women who have come forward with their stories. 

YEA better do the right thing.  If not, I am prepared to spend my summer contacting the schools The Cadets are scheduled to stay at notifying them of this situation.  It is completely unacceptable.  I will help lead protests at DCI events.  I will do everything in my power to bring attention to this situation.

George should never be allowed to be in a position of power again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

The corps are all their own independent organizations what can DCI do except remove the corps as a member if they don’t hold up their end of the mission statement?

DCI isn’t responsible for this. YEA is responsible for this.

But DCI can very easily remove them from all shows/regionals. Remove all money they get from those events. 

And in an extreme circumstance wipe them from the history books. (Which for the record I doubt will actually happen) 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, dbc03 said:

This is silly. George Hopkins is one man, he is not The Cadets. The Cadets were here long before him and with some luck they will be here long after him.

Hop has been the only real public face of the org for years and years....more than Gino, more than Thom, more so even than Zingali....for all intents and purposes, publicly he IS the Cadets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gbass598 said:

And that’s really all they can do. They can’t force the organization to be different or take them over or anything. They can help guide the organization but there shouldn’t be a misconception that DCI can just swoop in and save the day. DCI shouldn’t own YEA’s mess but should just support them if they ask for help.

That being said, my own perception of the YEA board is that they exist simply because the law says they have to exist and Hop was pretty much the sole decision maker for everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

If the allegations are true and with all the other charges by other women for many months, one can only imagine how GH and possibly others have been feeling these many months/years.

If the allegations are true, I for one, don't give a rat's butt how GH - and any others who knew and allowed it to happen - have been feeling. In fact, I HOPE they have all been feeling a feeling of impending doom.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cainan said:

I think very high.. In fact, I think there is a good chance that The Cadets do not weather this storm at all for 2018.. and possibly forever.

I am an absolute believer in due process. Nobody is guilty of a crime unless they admit their crime, or are found guilty by a jury of their peers. If this ends up there (which I will be highly surprised if it does not), then whatever the outcome is.. so be it. 

That said, the court of public opinion is not so lenient.

If I am a parent with a kid in this corps right now.. with this current corps leadership.. and I am talking from the YEA board all the way down the chain.. there is NO WAY in a million years I let MY kid anywhere NEAR this corps. I think they will pretty quickish lose any and all members under the age of 18. If my kid is over 18, and I am funding their drum corps career... and let's face it, a LOT of mm's use the trusty old First National Bank of Mom and Dad... again, I wouldn't let my kids near this corps. If I am an advertiser, I want NOTHING to do with YEA, The Cadets or USSBA. If I am a sponsor with a worldwide brand recognition, say.. I dunno... YAMAHA... again, I want nothing to do with this corps. Once this corps loses sponsors.. it's game over.

Bingo

YEA (& DCI) promote themselves as a youth education activity.  I don't think there is a parent out there that would allow their child to march with Cadets so long as GH has anything to do with the organization. 

This is not a legal issue - I agree that GH is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. 

But, for a parent sending their child (& I am pretty sure any members less than 18 years old require parental consent; those over 18 are adults but parents probably have some degree of influence ($ perhaps?) over them as well) there for 3+ months galavanting over the whole country, well no way that would happen.

IMHO, YEA should either terminate GH's employment, or at the very least completely suspend him from having anything to do with the organization (and contact with children).  Also, they should allow any members contracted for 2018 out of their contract if desired & refund any monies paid to date by these contracted members.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
clarity
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Regardless of how valid they perceive these allegations to be, the BoD had three months to ready a response.  I simply cannot fathom that the legal advice was "Let's just wait and see what the reaction is" in this day and age.  You need not have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night to know that simply trying to wait this out was NOT the right strategy.

They're not defending the report.  They're not refuting the report.

No suspension.  No "put on paid leave".

Nothing.

Pure incompetence.

Dictatorships do not end gracefully

• Like 5