Cranston, RI - July 3, 2018

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

It doesn't mean much when everyone hasn't competed in the same show, but Boston taking top percussion tonight reminds me that the last time, I believe, they won top drums in a major "contest" was the 1970 VWF Nationals.

In Miami. I competed at that show with Garfield. Boston was a great corps that year...2nd to the Troopers at VFW's. 69 BAC was still my favorite of that era though.

Edit....their 69 drumline was my favorite, with the bells. Overall, BS was my favorite corps all through the 60's.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

anyway......

Back to all of the amazing corps that were in Cranston, tonight.

I'm noticing lots of variance in the Percussion scores of late. Some due to performance ? Or simply assessment by different percussion judges ? or a combination ?   I'm thinking maybe Boston had a good run tonite in Percussion, and got rewarded for it, by winning Percussion. ( as opposed to last nite in Lawrence, Ma. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

VWF? hmmmm were they the only ones at that one?.....JK:laughing:

Good catch G.    1970 VFW Finals

Inspec.       Cad.       M&M       Drums      Horns     GE      Pen. Score            

1. Troopers    9.5         10.0        29.25       17.60       16.85    9.25        87.45

2. Boston       9.7         10.0        23.35       18.10        16.95    8.75        86.75

3. Chicago      9.7        10.0        24.60        17.65       15.50     8.50       85.55

4. Blessed       9.6        10.0        21.95        18.00        17.10     8.5         85.05
Sac.

Judging sheets have really evolved since then.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Insofar as Cranston, R.I. is concerned, whether tonite was a partial panel or not, the trend lines since the start of the season for the Boston Crusaders have been very encouraging .

The Cadets and Spirit of Atlanta are having very encouraging and satisfying seasons so far as well. 

Building a strong East

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They all got mad for the fact I want the cadets to beat them. I have been in the cadets topic for many years and have been a fan of every show since i got into the activity. The Cadets were a corps I looked up to because my tech marched there. I have no problem with BAC but have had problems with the Boston fans and that started 2 years ago. The same people that caused corpsband to get taken off the boards who was one of my favorite people to talk with. When you dont agree with them they used to group up kind of like what happened in the mess of the Rose bowl stream(not them but several other users) with personal attacks. There wasnt a single person that's ever bolded a prediction just to bring it up so therefore it was a personal decision. I have no problem if you block my posts but I'm going to keep cheering for the cadets and hope they finish in that top 5. Kind of hard to say cadets are going to pass Bluecoats with 6 other groups in front of them. 

giphy.gif

Who was your tech?

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

He seemed to me to be knowledgeable of D&BC happenings, but had a disdain for some when it seemed like he was losing a debate or others got under his skin.

I miss Corpsband. I met him in person and he's very likable. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I came back on a D&BC site by creating a new account.  Probably happens all the time.  I knew one person back several years who had two on line names and debated amongst himself.

I debate amongst myself all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

. Overall thoughts

Sunrisers: I did not see too many over 21 members. Might it be time to think about fielding an Open Class DCI corps? 

7th Regiment and Spartans: I don’t want to sound contradictory, but you could sense that three full days of rehearsals and three shows was getting tiring. However,  both had good runs and if the energy in some spots was lacking a bit, you could see a few changes and a few kinks worked out. Winds did not help props but most likely were welcome by marching members. 

Spirit’s show was a bit more nuanced than the past two nights. You could sense the show was made up of different parts. How they fare against Colts, Troopers, Academy, and Mandarins will be interesting, though all signs point to Mandarins making finals. If Crossmen or Blue Stars loose steam, and Madison does not gain ground, Spirit could be a wild card.

Cadets  had a great run tonight, so too did Boston Crusaders. Bloo was amazing. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

An oddly configured 5 man. 2 GE, 1 vis, 1 music (no brass) and 1 percussion...

Or was it a panel of five oddly configured men?

Sorry... couldn't resist.  :tongue:

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

That looks like the fingering for "D" on a saxophone! lol 

Is that a band instrument?  It's actually a code for "nah".  lol2

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They all got mad for the fact I want the cadets to beat them. I have been in the cadets topic for many years and have been a fan of every show since i got into the activity. The Cadets were a corps I looked up to because my tech marched there. I have no problem with BAC but have had problems with the Boston fans and that started 2 years ago. The same people that caused corpsband to get taken off the boards who was one of my favorite people to talk with. When you dont agree with them they used to group up kind of like what happened in the mess of the Rose bowl stream(not them but several other users) with personal attacks. There wasnt a single person that's ever bolded a prediction just to bring it up so therefore it was a personal decision. I have no problem if you block my posts but I'm going to keep cheering for the cadets and hope they finish in that top 5. Kind of hard to say cadets are going to pass Bluecoats with 6 other groups in front of them. 

giphy.gif

Hey, don’t take things personal man, Boston fans are just die hard for their teams. Look at the Red Sox or Patriots. But also I know these people that posted the score and it’s not an attack, just messing around. Good ol competition. I marched BAC 89-00 essentially and worked for Cadets. Both are great and doing excellent.

• Like 1