hazing/misconduct

12 hours ago, Bluzes said:

I been enlightened pulled out of my safe space over this thread and the housing thread. To paraphrase dci (corps as well) being professional run organizations (then & now) and through no fault of their own. Went from a carefree and whimsical environment to facing issues that are becoming insurmountable in nature. I don't know if anything constructive comes from keeping this thread alive next week. There will be more folks coming here they may take dci more casual in nature.  We have the fall & winter for this. Close this thread now get it off the first page. Lets just enjoy the finals week!!!!

Part of the reason the activity is facing these kinds of issues is, IMO, because too many people wanted to stick their head in the sand and pretend it was all sunshine and rainbows. Talking isn’t the problem— ignoring is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Part of the reason the activity is facing these kinds of issues is, IMO, because too many people wanted to stick their head in the sand and pretend it was all sunshine and rainbows. Talking isn’t the problem— ignoring is.

Not just this activity... thus sayeth the guy who lives 2 hours from Penn State. And thank goodness the phrase fake news wasn’t around then.... haters yes but not fake news

Edited by JimF-LowBari

19 hours ago, skevinp said:

I would be very wary of the media.  Based on my experiences and observations, it would be naive to assume they have anyone's best interests at heart but their own.  

Yes, and no. We forget that newspapers, news magazines, and commercial television news, hope to inform, but they are for profit businesses too, and getting the story is what sells the news. I also think we have a tendency to praise the media when we like a story or agree with it. If we don't agree, many of us can be critical. In the case of print newspapers, readership is down, profits are marginal at best in many cases, and reporters are not laughing all the way to the bank. Some of the top newspapers in the country no longer have regular reporters but hire freelance people to cover different topics. It's ironic that this year Blue Devils has based its show on Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks." Some reporters for newspapers have seen themselves as the man sitting at the counter, because back in the days they often waited for stories in similar diners. In Boston, of you wanted to find a reporter for the Boston Globe or Herald, all you needed to do was stop at Victoria Diner (great food, open all night). Those days are gone. Stories have to be pitched, research done, and while I do not know if this is the case with the reporter from The Philadelphia Inquirer,  the reporter is often paid only when the story is published.

I have had my fair share of being interviewed for local newspapers, usually nothing all that controversial. I have been misquoted, but not in a way that is all that consequential. I do often feel they are hooping to get a juicier story than what I have to offer, but I think that's how you do your job as a reporter. Some may be dreaming of a Pulitzer or a book deal, but I think overall, most are just trying to do their job.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, year1buick said:

This is not about the skyriders!:grrr: 

• Haha 2

Spent part of my career on wall street trading mortgage bonds and running a big mortgage operation for a wall street firm.  Once the world blew up back in 2008, my firm killed every business line that had the word mortgage in the name.  Shortly thereafter, I was inundated by requests to be interviewed for documentaries and short news clips, all geared toward finding out details on how the meltdown happened.  One piece I did was on NPR - This American Life.  It was actually a very good show, where they let my words stand on their own without chopping and clipping sentences together to make anyone look bad.  

Now, CNBC was a whole different story.  Interviewed by David Faber for 4 hours.  Saw the show, and they cut it up to suit their agenda.  He was looking for awards and a book deal, which he got.  Best advice is be very careful with whom you speak.  Some folks do have an agenda...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, E3D said:

This is not about the skyriders!:grrr: 

Don’t let it be forgot

That once there was a spot

For one brief shining moment that was known 

As Camelot 

• Haha 1

Local print media was sold and went to 3 times a week. Their website too slow from ads. As for TV “news” interesting to watch the cable outlets from both ends of the spectrum and pick out what wasn’t reported or what was twisted. And forget the over the top talking heads more than willing to tell you how to think or what to get mad about. So as we read the corps reports (getting back on topic) think how ratings, award hunting (didn’t think about that) or shooting for better job comes into play

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

fake news

It was always awake always around and way before Rules for Radicals came out, what 1930s. We are just MMs living the dream, everything has a time & place, none of this insanitary is new or creative but look at all the GE two little word receive rivals SCV. I am OK with FN and whatever kind of news follows that. 

3 hours ago, Spartans87 said:

Spent part of my career on wall street trading mortgage bonds and running a big mortgage operation for a wall street firm.  Once the world blew up back in 2008, my firm killed every business line that had the word mortgage in the name.  Shortly thereafter, I was inundated by requests to be interviewed for documentaries and short news clips, all geared toward finding out details on how the meltdown happened.  One piece I did was on NPR - This American Life.  It was actually a very good show, where they let my words stand on their own without chopping and clipping sentences together to make anyone look bad.  

Now, CNBC was a whole different story.  Interviewed by David Faber for 4 hours.  Saw the show, and they cut it up to suit their agenda.  He was looking for awards and a book deal, which he got.  Best advice is be very careful with whom you speak.  Some folks do have an agenda...

Tape the conversation 

• Like 1