hazing/misconduct

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Might be saving direct questions to corps for more important things or after she gets the facts together. Otherwise running risk of getting no response due to multiple questions on small things. Aka - not her again

I guess. Looking at her twitter post here and the responses that already include some questionable responses though. I'm sure she is smart enough to wade through fact and twitter hyperbole.

Lots of corps websites list a chief medical staff member as well so a little gum shoe work would probably net better results for her than reaching out the anonymous hoards on twitter. Such is journalism in these modern times I suppose.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

It was different back then.. I remember when I was about 8 I had a self-imposed 5-mile radius (because that is how far I could ride bike) from house that I played in.  There were probably just as many nut-cases out there to hurt children as today, but the difference was there was no instant news / internet to inform our parents what was going on.  

Letting a bunch of 14+ yr olds fend for themselves to find their own fast food was just an extension of this mentality

We also need to keep "back in the day" in perspective. Yes, many corps did drop kids off at fast food restaurants and truck stops to fend for themselves, but marching members knew this ahead of time and didn't have the expectation that meals would be provided. Also, we weren't hearing of the dangers of fast food in the 1960's and 70's. I can remember hearing of busses breaking down and parents thinking the corps was doing the best it could to survive, today we see it as negligence, but this was something lived and learned. As far as some of the wild back in the days stories, I know of one corps where some marching members claimed they partied wild every night after shows and some who marched in the same corps claiming there were strict bedtimes,  chaperones who kept boys and girls separate, and a young woman who claimed she was not allowed to march one night and a substitute took per place all because she wore a halter top. Chances are the tales get wilder with time and so too do the tales of corps being strict.

Those of us who are 50-plus who may remember the wilder "back in the day" tales probably had parents who grew up during the Depression and fathers who fought in either WWII or Korea. Their childhoods were different from most of ours, and they wanted to provide better for their children. The same is true for this generation. I know of three people who are in my age group (I'm 55) who got involved with drum corps as volunteers because they wanted their children to have the same positive experience they had back in the day without the negative aspects. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

I guess I would think a really good reporter would maybe contact the corps themselves for this information? Getting it second hand from fans that may or in most cases NOT have the correct answer seems very irresponsible. Maybe she is doing that as well? I would hope so. Just my two coppers.

most corps avoid her like the plague

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Hmmmm.

they dont want staff speaking to reporters without management involved. it's a CYA move. it's like when lawyers advise their clients not to talk to the press.

not saying it's right, just what i am seeing and hearing. and lets be honest, she's done great work, but then gave someone like Stuart Rice credibility

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

We also need to keep "back in the day" in perspective.

Corps back then were 1/3 the size wouldn't even stress fast foot staffs today. Soon when  A.I. takes over they would be startled if BK showed up in their attire.  Been there with my corps in some Wildwood NJ hotels. Yes, they did put us all to bed then we escaped through the windows. In isolation that sounds horrible, today that must be punished.  Where were we headed to other hotels where our parents were staying with their Legion Posts. Not everything is good or bad.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

most corps avoid her like the plague

Lol I don’t tweet but hit her link. She does seem to go after dirt or at least retweet it. Even has Channel 27 mess with female personalities leaving.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they dont want staff speaking to reporters without management involved. it's a CYA move. it's like when lawyers advise their clients not to talk to the press.

not saying it's right, just what i am seeing and hearing. and lets be honest, she's done great work, but then gave someone like Stuart Rice credibility

she's our activity's Bob Woodward, i hope what she is doing will make things better in the long run. Things happen when you look under rocks, turning over the soil...but in the end that land gets to be health again. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Fair point.

When I took a job at Harrisburg HS, the new teachers were told by the public relations director we weren't to speak to the local paper without the district's permission.

The paper had a very adversarial role with the district for a lot of good reasons, and the district wanted to hide everything they could about their overall ineptitude and incompetency. I wonder if that gag order's still in effect for over 30 years.

Looking back, I should have spoken the day I walked out of there...

• Like 1