hazing/misconduct

20 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Just seeing this. Wow.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Got some things clunking around in my head I figured I should share (though they are likely known by the masses anyway).  First, having had a member in Open Class, lower tier World Class, and not top 5, I can honestly say that there is a night and day difference between the three.  From the hard facts, like finances to the softer ones, like attitude of the marching members.  They don't have near the alumni support (if any), volunteer base, or ability to pay for top notch staff.  That being said, there is NO excuse for the type of behavior that has/is occurring nor does that mean that these MM deserve anything less than a wonderful experience.  They absolutely deserve the best experience, in the safest environment possible!  Unfortunately, some of these lower corps are truly in an uphill battle just to put a show on the field.  Pioneer is certainly not the only one.  These corps could use more support in general if for no other reason than supporting the members so they can have the safest experience possible.  In a perfect world, more hands in the pot would lead to more accountability as well.          

Well said. Nowadays, with social media and forums like this, people are so quick to carry a torch and demand change, but I don’t see the same amount of people lining up to volunteer on tour or donate any amount of money to these lower tier (for lack of a better word) groups. I’m not trying to excuse or am even saying this is the cause of this specific case, but similar situations arise because of a lack of support, monetary and otherwise.

As far as this specific incident, all of these allegations are serious and require action. Stopping tour and calling in reporters isn’t exactly what I would consider a good option, but admittedly, I don’t know what is. I know what ultimately needs to happen, just not how. I just hope for the MMs that their remaining summer can be a rewarding, enjoying, and healthy one. I want to see them on the field in 12 days, ending the season on their terms. 

4 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Have any of you contacted DCI about your concerns? If you have, I am just curious as to what kind of response you've received (if any) from DCI.

They are very aware

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Icer said:

The avenue I preferred was exactly what they eventually did - go public with their accusations.  Within 24 hours GH had resigned. If you believe that the door was shut because of finances (which have nothing to do with sexual assault) then it should be clear to you that going public was the ONLY way something was going to happen. And if you believe as I do that the problem was in the restrictions imposed by the law, then you come to the same conclusion. 

If you want to call that blaming the victim then there is no persuading you. The fact that you even raise the issue of financial management makes me think that you have an agenda that has nothing to do with the victims. 

No the door wasn’t shut due to finances. It was shut because that board didn’t sneeze without the former directors permission. Nothing said to them or any investigation run by those tied to yea would have been nothing more than whitewash lip service.

so no they had no other avenue. They knew the risks. 

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Possibly because Milwaukee is much farther from Philly than Allentown.  Perhaps a more local reporter is the answer

Could be on vacation too

Someone does need to investigate this matter. Where is Roman?

Now not to make light of the subject BUT I will also say ( not saying this is the case here ) let's get the info ( I think I will make a few calls too ) let's not be ready all the time to bring out the torches and pitchforks before info have been obtained. This is serious and the MMs need to be taken care of properly and safely.

With that said, I have also seen and have had members in a lower group act one way then move on to a place where expectations were a lot different and a miracle, the very thing the member had issues with and couldn't handle all of a sudden disappears. This goes for dues also. They can't afford and don't pay then all of a sudden get into a top Corps and BAM money in hand.

Again, just another side and not saying this is the case here. Either way, someone does need to check.

No time to waste

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Seems like she’s moved on.  Sent her stuff, no response.  

Takes time to put pieces together, do the fact finding so you don't end up sued for slander, then write something cogent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I feel bad for the members and that's it. There are other organizations for individuals to get their start in drum corps or begin their journey in world class. The Pioneer organization had its chances and now it seems like they have managed to be the first corps to breach rock bottom. Way too many issues with Pioneer to go on. I hope they can finish the season for the members' sake. The corps is more-than-likely too far gone for even DCA. It's past time for the individual at the very top to let the corps go.  

Unfortunately, one lesson I learned in military was 'no matter how bad it is, it could be worse' - but I fear to ponder what this could be w/r/t the current situation

• Like 1