I was there when...........

I think it's in Suncoast Sound's 1985 show, towards the end. It's a full hornline run, and it's very cool. :thumbup:

You got it.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet...

I was there when Star of Indiana BLASTed ( :thumbup: ) it's way into DCI in '85.

Edited by skajerk

I was there in 84 in Madison when Cadets had the pile up going into the Z pull

Actually, that was Whitewater, about 45 minutes south of Madison. I was there too. My back was turned and all I saw was a bunch of Lancers say "wow, did you see that?" By the time I turned around, they were back up.

I was there the night the Velvet Knights won their very first legit, non-rained out show....in 1987, beating Suncoast and Sky. We actually did a Victory Concert. Didn't even know how...but we did it!!

I was there the night the Velvet Knights broke a 90 for the first time in corps history at the OLD Port Huron show, and I won high drum major over the gods of Phantom and Star--and the person who couldn't believe THAT feat the most.....WAS ME!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost didn't go accept the award because I thought it was a mistake.

I was there at the Stillwater show in 1985 when I found out the entire corps (or so the story goes) of Phantom had been poisoned by bad water. Sort of scared me to be honest.

Atlanta playing "Let it be me" off the field after 1980 finals in a wonderful tribute to Jim Ott. Talk about an incredible response that will never be seen unless someone had a camcorder back then. The absolute most amazing moment I have ever witnessed in 33 years of drum corps.

Even though a lot of folks knew it was coming, SCV changing the closer in 1982 for finals with the Bottle Dance.

Denver 1977 when it was announced at finals Bridgemen were disqualified and sought a court order to allow them to compete at finals that night. A very bizzare crowd response.

Hearing Madison's horn line DCI Philadelphia 1975. No DVD/CD will ever duplicate that incredible sound.

Meeting up with my high school's arch rival fellow drum major marching with the Cavaliers not finding that out until we ran into each other for the 1st time that summer at finals in Montreal in 1981. Here we lived less than a mile apart and were brought together 2500 miles away. That's how much our high schools hated each other. We would never converse with them at any shows or games. And I learned to respect him and have a lot of compassion as he told me how the Cavies nearly folded earlier that year.

BD blowing my face off with La Fiesta in 84 in Atlanta.

Watching Marty Hurley's drum line warmup in 1982 in Overland Park. Truly made my jaw drop.

The flying cockroach invasion in Dallas in 2007. Bugs landing in folk's hair, food and drinks.

Being able to meet and have long conversations with Jim Jones, Gail Royer, Bobby Hoffman, and Jerry Seawright whether it be over a cup of joe, a coke or a beer. True pioneers of drum corps who really changed my life.

And of course, 1982 the night Allison Lendman tore up a couple of cars in Montreal with one of the buses on a narrow side street. She tells me to get out and guide her and before I can get to the rear of the bus, she takes the sides off of two cars and I responded, "You're all clear now".

She notices a 17 year old French gal watching all this and ask me to go flirt with her. And here we are friends to this day.

Watching a recently aged out DM (then horn player) lose her bikini bottom a fews years ago during rehearsel and she finished the set. OMFG!!!

Troopers refusing to leave the field in Ankeny during the tornado of 1983. Finished their show despite pleas from the field announcer and local police to stop playing and take cover. And all of our SoCal girls bawling their heads off in the shelter as they had never seen a tornado in their lives.

Tripped over my tymp (yes marching) during run thru before my 1st show, bleeding all over tymp, waking up in the emergency room and then doing the show that night in Boise. Still do not remember ever being on the field, I was so drugged up, but everybody said I did fine, so I'll believe them.

Puker 82 Blue Stars. Enough said.

Edited by bstar82

I was there the night the Blue Stars drank 1013 Blatz Creme Ales in four hours to set the Rustic Inn record. I was there at 8:30 AM the next day when the horn line was running laps. Yuck.

And speaking of other noteworthy Blue Stars achievements, I was there at finals in 2008 when the Blue Stars took the field in finals competition for the first time in 29 years, placing 8th and scoring only 0.15 points lower than their corps record 90.575 earned the night before.

I was there when the Bluecoats beat the Blue Devils for the first time in history and the Cavaliers for the first time since the 80's.

I was there when the Bluecoats won Brass in the 2007 Quarterfinals.

I was there on the field watching the 2008 DCI Finals crowd doing the wave during retreat. That was a fun-tastic sight :thumbup:

85 Allentown when 26 corps competed in prelims

96 retreat

99 retreat

82 Bottle Dance return from nowhere

Boston 2000

the sheer joy of the brass re-entry after the drum solo for 92 Crossmen