I was there when...........

....40 G horns on the starting line (or back sideline) projected & sounded better than 85 Bb/F horns on (or in front of) the front sideline,

ie any "G" year Madison Scouts/BD vs 2008 Bluecoats = Mad/BD FTW

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - I'll play.

I was there ....

... at Prelims in 1979 watching the crowd go nuts just watching the Troopers enter the Birmingham field for their performance, knocking Crossmen out of the Finals - my God, what a BTTW performance, what a disappointment for Crossmen.

... on the sideline in Hutchinson KA when the Argonne Rebels appeared in a salvaged set of their old cadet uniforms, heard the click when the horns snapped to parade rest - man, what a sound.

... in the Miami International Airport the Sunday after the 1983 finals waiting in the same room as Chuck Mangione to fly back to Boston - he really meant all the stuff he said.

... in 1984 at Whitewater when then Garfield had its Z-pull pileup (actually I was trying to look past Shirley Stratton - now Dorittie - as she gave the breathless blow by blow)

.... at the same show when BD's golf cart got lost in the parking lot and we set the pit up in 60 seconds flat (crowd yelling "GO! GO!")

.... at the same show when the dratted thing's battery died and it had to be pushed back to the truck (no more joy rides for the food truck staff...)

... at the Canadian border after the rained-out Port Moron show when all of Beau's leffover Beef Stroke Stroganoff was served to 27th and Madison

.... when the Marauder's Vampire Castle set blew over at the Milwaukee Drum Beauty show (I knew they should have cut wind slits in it)

... when a big, long sharklike shape under a big brown tarp motored through the streets of Madison before finals in 1992 (I think it was)

... when Jerry Seawright made trashcan taco salad for us in 1977

... when SCV sang during the rain delay in Foxboro

Wow.

regards - Jim

Edited by Jim Alberty

....40 G horns on the starting line (or back sideline) projected & sounded better than 85 Bb/F horns on (or in front of) the front sideline,

ie any "G" year Madison Scouts/BD vs 2008 Bluecoats = Mad/BD FTW

Meh, Bluecoats 2008 sounded better (at that moment) than just about any G hornline I've heard, save maybe a couple of BD lines (94, 98, 99) and Star in the early 90s .

... in 1984 at Whitewater when then Garfield had its Z-pull pileup (actually I was trying to look past Shirley Stratton - now Dorittie - as she gave the breathless blow by blow)

.... at the same show when BD's golf cart got lost in the parking lot and we set the pit up in 60 seconds flat (crowd yelling "GO! GO!")

Y'know...that's one of those things that happened that I just don't remember...probably because I was concentrating on my mindset for the show.

.... at the same show when the dratted thing's battery died and it had to be pushed back to the truck (no more joy rides for the food truck staff...)
Neener neener neener!!
... at the Canadian border after the rained-out Port Moron show when all of Beau's leffover Beef Stroke Stroganoff was served to 27th and Madison

Madison wasn't part of that convoy....it was BD, 27, Freelancer, and Gahfield...and Garfield pounded it down like they thought it was gonna vanish on them....we were awed....didn;t George FEED those kids?

I was there on finals night in 1986 when members of 2-7 paraded a "We Quit" sign along the back side of Camp Randall. Sad night...

It didn't acutally say "We Quit", but that was the jist of it.

Definitely a sad night!

I was there when my beloved corps was still on the field. <sigh> :thumbup:

LOL! Probably the same bear garden we were at in 85. Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, Freelancers, and 27th Lancers took over a small bar a couple of doors down from the beer garden, with Phantom Regiment watching.

This small bar was so overwhelmed they sold out of beer and we had to bring in our own beverages. When the beverages ran out we went to the beer garden, got our pitchers, and hauled them back to the bar.

That was one incredible free day, albeit, 23 years ago.

We had a free night in Montreal after the 1977(?) season. We had performed half-time at a Montreal Alouettes (Canadian football) game. Somehow we ended up at the beer garden. I fuzzily remember Jim Centorino getting on stage with the oom-pah band, grabbing a trumpet, and playing the Mexican hat dance.