Worst Championships Venue

I've been to 8 of them. I'd rank them:

Great Venues

1. Denver. Great sight lines. Great acoustics. Great weather. Lots to do around town. DCI can return anytime in my book.

2. Madison. The stadium amenities are a bit lame, but the sight lines and acoustics are good. The town loves DCI and is always fun to visit.

Decent Venues

3. Buffalo. There's not much around the stadium, but it's a good venue with a good view of shows.

4. Bloomington. The stadium is great for viewing shows, but lacking in amenities. The drive from Indy was a pain.

5. College Park. I actually liked this stadium a lot for shows in the 90s, but I think finals was a bit too big of a show for it. Terrible neighborhood.

Bad Venues

6. Pasadena. Rose Bowl is a total dump. Terrible facilities, buzzing lights, long lines getting into the stands. Seating is pretty far away from field due to bowl. If they could find a better venue, I'd love to go back to southern CA as the weather was perfect and there's plenty to do.

7. Indianapolis. Acoustics were hands-down the worst and that's a big negative. Otherwise, the stadium is second only to Denver and the locale in downtown Indy is great.

8. Orlando. Scary neighborhood. Ancient stadium. I'm never going to another show here.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obvously, the Rose Bowl! :lol:

There was a vibe in the air that existed. It was clear, outdoors, lots of parking and jam packed with fans that LOVE drum corps and respected all corps and their performances (except a little booing for George). Simply magical!

Worst = Buffalo, old and just blah.

Best = Denver, by a landslide. Comfortable, clean, great club level, friendly staff. All I'll say is it was pretty interesting sitting behind all the Hall of Famers. They're definitelty an interesting group.

Foxboro could be up there, if it wasn't for the rude staff. I was sitting behind the judges all three nights and those seats were the best ones I've sat in yet for championships. They're even wider and paddier than LOS. Sound wasn't too bad either, as I never heard the elevator that everyone was talking about. Great bar area in the middle of the club level.

LOS is very nice in terms of comfort, amenities, and even the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I did not encounter one rude staff member the entire time I was there. Just that sound made me a sad panda.

Bloomington was very nice. We were fortunate to have some nice weather that weekend. Don't know what people would say if the weather was like it was this year. Reminded me much like Camp Randall.

Camp Randall may be uncomfortable with its bleacher seats, but I have always enjoyed watching and performing in that venue. The sound there is simply amazing. Corps sound crystal clear and piercing. IDK, it just is one of those magical places.

Universtiy of Maryland was decent and I had excellent seats in the first row of the middle tier. Found a parking garage connected right to the stadium. It was comfortable enough. Took the Metro or whatever it's called all over DC. Great sightseeing opportunities made it a memorable trip.

Rose Bowl wasn't too bad. Everything was comfortable until Saturday when everyone and their mother showed up. Then it got cramped and uncomfortable. Had seats exactly on the 50. The lights I was able to tune out by the second day. Loved the lay out of the souvenir stands. Not my favorite, but not bad either.

Citus Bowl was kind of like Rose Bowl. Okay, but uncomfortale. Again I had a great vantage point. I almost got stuck in the grass parking area. If we're talking stadiums then it's toward the bottom. Overall I would be happy to go back to Orlando. Lots of stuff to do, beaches are close by, NASA (which everyone should go see), and of course the various good eats.

That about covers it all IMO of course.

You know, I hear this complaint all the time and I have to be honest... It didn't bother me in the slightest! Now, this could have been that I was just happy to be at my first finals in 22 years but highly doubt it.

Miami in '83... that was a different story!

Well if I hadn't been to a finals performance in 22 years, I would be bothered by it either. :lol:

So, over the last 10 years, DCI has been held in the following locations. If you marched any of these years or went to the big show, which was your least favorite location, and why?

2009 - Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN

2008 - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN

2007 - The Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA

2006 - Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI

2005 - Foxboro, MA

2004 - Mile High Stadium, Denver, CO

2003 - The Citrus Bowl, Orlando, FL

2002 - Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI

2001 - Buffalo, NY

2000 - Washington, D.C.

Drum corps fans, go!

I was at all of them, except Washington...........for me, Lucas was the least favorite due to the bad quality of sound of the stadium....it was high on the list from a comfort and location standpoint, as I like Indy, but I would sacrifice that in a second for a much better sounding stadium.........I won't go back to Lucas unless somehow the sound is fixed there (which I am not sure if that can be done with that facility)..............I would go to any of the other places perhaps except the Rose Bowl.....the stadium is fine, but the lighting noise was like something at a bad high school field.........

GB

GB

Obvously, the Rose Bowl! :lol:

There was a vibe in the air that existed. It was clear, outdoors, lots of parking and jam packed with fans that LOVE drum corps and respected all corps and their performances (except a little booing for George). Simply magical!

Really? I thought the Rose Bowl was by far the worst venue I've been at for finals week, and I've been from 04-09. Low stadium, early start time, mediocre fans. Just was really not great all-around.

Rose Bowl was not very good but it was a spectacle. Terrible lines and parking.

Denver was the best (and my first). I would go to Denver every year if I had the dough.

of those I have been to, Orlando hands down on this list. I'd actually take Jackson over that.

from reviews...LOS hands down

Jackson MS.

Thread over.

THIS - hell, just hell.