Who will win

Personally, I enjoyed the Statesmen much more last year WITH all the additions late in the season. I thought their show was missing something without all that "junk."

The use of props, "personality" soloists, etc.... that, to me, IS the Empire Statesmen. That's what they do, better than anyone else, ever.

I hope they never change. And I really hope there will always be a place for "fun" shows such as theirs in DCA.

IMO... and this truly is a topic for another thread, so I'll leave it at this.....the day DCA goes completely in the "oh-so-serious", less personality-driven direction that the DCI corps have taken.... then we might as well pack up, turn off the lights and go home.

Well , I will agree with you on a few things..YES it is the Statesmen way, Yes it is what they do best , fun? well maybe amusing, their personality? yes for sure....ok i did my best....lol...........good luck to all the corps

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does hating Empire have to do with it? All I said was that because of the spread Reading opened against Empire in Lewisburg, the Jamestown results will be all the less compelling/interesting. If Empire and/or MBI edges out the other, Reading would still appear to be the frontrunner. If Empire opens a spread on MBI, it would appear that MBI's championship aspirations may be just that. However, it WOULD get interesting if MBI were to open a similar spread or greater than Reading over Empire. This would put MBI in contention with Reading and considerably raise everyone's interest in Reading and MBI meeting at the prelims, while at the same time, seem to take Empire out of the championship picture. And BTW, I do not hate Empire. Do I think their focus, show designs/concepts and attitude are detrimental to them winning in contemporary drum corps....YES. But hate...NO.

Will VOReason be at ANY shows this year?

Plus, identify yourself ... I have a problem with rabble rousers using fake names ... that SO Dial-Up Windows 95.

I know that The Sun Devils are very excited for our first competition of the 2010 season! The bus will be pulling out of North Port, FL this Thursday afternoon. Per usual, I will open a DCP travel update thread complete with Tweets and other sundries.

Personally I cannot wait for northern lack of humidity :thumbup:

Edit:

I forgot to respond properly to this thread.

Who will win?

One of the corps that attends this competition :thumbup:

Edited by John M. Johnson

He should be like me...I don't hide. There's my name!

Plus, identify yourself ... I have a problem with rabble rousers using fake names ... that SO Dial-Up Windows 95.

I know that The Sun Devils are very excited for our first competition of the 2010 season! The bus will be pulling out of North Port, FL this Thursday afternoon. Per usual, I will open a DCP travel update thread complete with Tweets and other sundries.

Personally I cannot wait for northern lack of humidity :thumbup:

If the weather is anything like we experienced in Hornell, you guys will think you died and went to Heaven!

Good Luck Sun Devils - do the South proud!

Yes, I will be at the Scranton show (hopefully), and will provide my biased review. And again, I am not the only poster on these boards, or any other board for that matter, who chooses to use a nom de plume. If you have a problem with that...guess what???

Absolutely...Oz was a wonderful idea around which to design a program. Lots of good, recognizable music performed across multiple genres from movies, Broadway, jazz, etc. Much of this good music, Empire is playing...no doubt. Empire's show is designed to reach out and grab the audience, a lot of times using elements extraneous to the music and marching art. Reading's show is designed to draw the audience in using the music, percussion and drill. Empire's show makes the audience want to move, Reading's show moves the audience. Now, these observations are based on the past few years, as I have not yet seen this year’s programs on the field, other than the approx. 8 minutes of YouTube clips from Empire's Oz production. And based on these clips, assuming of course that changes either have been made or in the process of being made, a corp cannot telegraph drill moves and park and blow as much as this and expect to win on the sheets. The horn line sounds excellent, however there is not much demand.

HELLLOO ! You haven't seen any shows...

HELLLOO ! You haven't seen any shows... EDIT
As I said in the post that you find particularly offensive, I have NOT seen the 2010 productions and was offering my comments based on the shows I witnessed over the last several years and the limited clips of the Empire Oz production. And BTW. isn't calling a fellow poster an "unqualified d-bag" against the TOS? Edited by Danielle
removed edited portion from post -dp

I actually loved last years show until maybe mid Aug. Then all the junk came out in Statesmen fashion. When I saw the corps earlier I thought WOW very classy ....and then..... Just afraid with this theme all hell can break lose come Mid August

I never saw last year's before Bridgeport Part Dos so I can't say I saw the classy version. And I've thought the same thing about this show. I was thinking if they painted the Statue of Liberty back to green like she should be and stuck a witches hat on her..... :thumbup::thumbup::tongue:

I never saw last year's before Bridgeport Part Dos so I can't say I saw the classy version. And I've thought the same thing about this show. I was thinking if they painted the Statue of Liberty back to green like she should be and stuck a witches hat on her..... :thumbup::thumbup::tongue:

One of the redeeming qualities of DCA is many corps desire to "entertain". Its what makes it very different than DCI. So many of the corps have a character of their own....even Reading. While closer to a DCI type show concept (as is MBI in my past experience), its still what makes them different from the others. Then there is Cabs, Hurcs, Empire, Bush etc.......I love the variety and as Fran has so elequently put it.....if they ever change it will be time to pack it up for me too. By the way, to those who don't understand the "showmanship", "broadway" whatever you want to call it character of Empire, remember it was always Vince Bruni's goal to first entertain, second win. Its great to see the tradition being carried on. Maybe some of the newer, younger fans don't appreciate it as much as us old pharts, but that's OK too. Just so long as you keep attending the shows, you are all entitiled to your opinion.