Quarterfinals Open Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to DCI and LOS for selling the "FLR Sports Radio" Got to listen to the Cinecast Commentary before and after each performance. If you have never seen thise, they sell them at NFL games so you can listen to the PBP in sync with the actual game. Pretty cool.

It seems like part of what you're not into is the nature of the source music itself, going by your questions "why dissonance?" etc.

So we'll just have to disagree, on those terms alone... I see this musical premise as far from a waste. To say nothing of what they actually do with it, which I think is fabulous.

I guess to put it in the context of an example, I would use Santa Clara. Bartok is definitely dissonant and angst-filled music but I thought they did a hell of a job making it their own and it was very distinctively SCV. They are one of the few corps anymore that you could throw in a different uniform and I'd still know it was SCV. BD's show tonight could have been Cadets, Bluecoats, Cavies, Crown...in a different uniform, I wouldn't have known it was BD. That didn't used to be the case.

Drum corps politics are stupid.

...so politics kept your favorite drum corps from placing as high as you think they should have placed? :lol:

During Cavies I almost had a breakdown becuse I thought parts of the show were written about me and the insanity I have delt with in my 55 years.

Bot then Blue Devils held my hand and said "Look at THIS......you're not as ###### up as you think you are"

I have never seen a better top 6 or 8 in my life but I'm concerned about where some of these shows are going.

Both Cavies and BD have touched on something VERY VERY different and I don't know if it's a place I want to go without Cymbalta, Prozac and Xanax.

Point cinema in Madison was almost at max capacity. 180 or so were there.

Just a few observations:

Madisons show had the theater going bonkers. Love love love this show.

BK seemed off tonight, but still liked the show

Gmen since last time i saw them live in Madison were way improved. I really liked there show

Boston looked and marched great. Cool show

Blue Stars sounded amazing. Holy Mellos

SCV's show was slow to grasp me at times, but at the end, I REALLY liked it

Phantom has a completely insanely hard show. I thought they were great

Cadets. Good, very fast moving but i wanted a Cadets crazy drill at the end

Crown, they have such a nice sound and are marching well

Bluecoats- They seemed off to me but what do i know

Cavies- Awesome. There guard works there tails off and drums are smokin

Blue Devils- This is the weirdest show i have ever seen. It was by far my least favorite show. I sure hope this is not what drum corps is going to look like in the future. That said, they can march, play and perform at a very high level. They are extremely talented but the show let me dissapointed to end the night on that show. Sorry, and like I said earlier, what do i know?

:lol:

And a :rolleyes: to the Bluecoats' guard as well!

Scratching my head over Crown's guard score... They're fielding one of the most musical, proficient guards this year. The spread between them and BD is surprising. Maybe they had an off night.

they're scratching their heads too. talking to them now. it was not a bad show. :shutup:

I thought I heard Steve R. say that they were broadcasting the show online Saturday (As well as tomorrow), anyone have any details?

They're showing retreat online on Saturday for free. That's it, though.

I guess to put it in the context of an example, I would use Santa Clara. Bartok is definitely dissonant and angst-filled music but I thought they did a hell of a job making it their own and it was very distinctively SCV. They are one of the few corps anymore that you could throw in a different uniform and I'd still know it was SCV. BD's show tonight could have been Cadets, Bluecoats, Cavies, Crown...in a different uniform, I wouldn't have known it was BD. That didn't used to be the case.

I don't totally disagree with your feelings. I also have not enjoyed BD's musical books nearly as much as I once did with the exception of 2003 (top 5 BD show ever IMO) and 1999. However, I do disagree with the implication that the horn guys are doing a talented hornline a disservice by not providing them with a challenging enough book. While I may not like the book that much I DO believe there is plenty of difficulty and a truck load of outstanding ensemble and solo work being performed (as has always been the case with BD).

Bottom line in my opinion is that the 2010 Blue Devils are flat out, clearly better than anyone else. They won't get my vote as the best show of the season, but they absolutely get my vote as a deserving champion.