2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

I am really looking forward to PR's guard this year!!! An amazing staff! :lol:

And please don't say its tradition. Tradition kept alot of people down for too many years. I'm waiting ( not looking forward to it) for that one young lady that sues the Cavaliers or Madison over keeping her out. Legally the Boy Scouts can't keep out girls just like the Girl Scouts can't keep out boys.

Yes actually they can. Whether they actually do or not is up to each smaller organization.

They are a private organization; so it is up to them if they want to include or not include certain members based on whatever criteria they wish.

I mean, really, do you think the Madison Scouts cymbal line players could have sued the corps for not allowing them to play cymbals between 2 years ago and the previous season? And for that matter, do you think that every cymbal player who wants to march in almost every corps today could sue them for not having a cymbal line? It's a show design choice most importantly.

As as for "tradition"; it probably isn't the only reason. The single gender guard presents a completely different feel for the show that hasn't been seen in quite a few years. Opportunities are both closed and opened by making this choice, and hopefully the choices by the design team and the performers reflect a positive achievement.

Some people seem to be viewing it as a "keeping people out" type of thing, but I'd encourage people to adopt a view as purely a show design choice with a side dish of of keeping true to tradition.

This is good news. I think the guard in dress (I would think this is the plan) compliments the uniforms in a great way. REALLY like the 87 uniforms as well as the guard in 91.

Scores or not, criteria or not its just as subjective now as it was and this goes for WGI also. The guard activity does have what drives the criteria BUT none the less all still opinion. And NO you do not have to have saber and rifle line even today. IMO ( and I still teach WGI world class and DC we have seen guards go to all one piece of equipment and STILL be as effective if not more so. It's all in programming and written effect.

I have yet to see one world class drum corps use only one piece of equipment. I agree that it's been done in WGI (I teach World Class too) - but it won't happen in DCI - you need all 3 pieces (Although Troopers did really well with just rifles and flags in 2009)

Later,

Mike

No - This is awesome news! (Unless you were a guy in Phantom's Guard last year and wanted to return)

Which is exactly why it is bad new. PR's guard has been pretty terrible (compared to the rest of the top 5) in the last 5 years, and this doesn't make it better.

Which is exactly why it is bad new. PR's guard has been pretty terrible (compared to the rest of the top 5) in the last 5 years, and this doesn't make it better.

Your evidence to this? It could be up, it could be down, it could be the exact same with this change.

I have yet to see one world class drum corps use only one piece of equipment. I agree that it's been done in WGI (I teach World Class too) - but it won't happen in DCI - you need all 3 pieces (Although Troopers did really well with just rifles and flags in 2009)

Later,

Mike

there is nothing that says you have to use all 3 pieces of equipment..at least not on the sheets I have used

Would anyone be as vocal if Phantom Regiment announced they were going to cut the number of guard positions in total to add more brass performers? What about cutting the number in the battery to 7 snares 3 tenors 5 basses and adding guard or brass instead? Those two scenarios happen every year as design choices by the staff, although they are sometimes dictated by the amount of talented kids who show up to auditions.

I think the big concern here, is that there hasn't been a competitive all female color guard for a while now - and there are reasons for that. looking back at the last 10 or so years - all male and coed guards have ruled - and I don't see the trend being reversed by going back to all female.

Later,

Mike

Why can't an all female guard do as well as an all male guard ? Sorry, but it just sounds too sexist to me.

Its not genetics... it's not stamina.... it's not endurance.... it's not talent..... so why CAN'T an all female Guard win ( say ) the Guard award ? What exactly precludes it from happening ?