Lower level corps need horn players too

I don't think there would be any refund coming for a kid going to multiple camps and eventually getting cut. As stated, winter camps are excellent fundraisers for those organizations that attract high numbers of auditionees.

It's simple, smart, and slick marketing.

..or, they string along as many as possible to suck every single dollar they can. I hope this isn't the case, but the sheer amount of people they hold over and the MONEY they require to do so sure makes it seem this way. I would think after a 3 day camp you would have a #### good idea who can cut it and who can't.

..or, they string along as many as possible to suck every single dollar they can. I hope this isn't the case, but the sheer amount of people they hold over and the MONEY they require to do so sure makes it seem this way. I would think after a 3 day camp you would have a #### good idea who can cut it and who can't.

You can't speak for every corps. You cannot always tell who will be a good candidate for a spot from one camp. I auditioned for Cadets in 1999 and was almost cut because of my first audition (and this was the second camp), but I was given another chance to come to the next camp. Obviously they saw some potential. And unless you've been to every corps audition camps, you cannot say WHAT it seems like. By your standards, it would be pretty #### tough to make it into a corps after a 3 day camp given they still have to see how a person marches, how well a person memorizes music, etc. That all isn't done over one camp, speaking from the corps I've marched in.

There is a lot of attrition, so if you are marching 150, you probably need to find 200 or more qualified potential members in November and December. You can call it stringing people along, but despite the audition and early camp numbers, most, if not all, WC corps are looking to fill spots in May and June.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, this also might be a case of PC Altruism gone sour. Here is what I mean: Many upper level corps' today do not "cut" anyone in the (name) of not hurting feelings. Instead, they give out number ratings such as 1 = contract, 2 = you might make it so come back next camp; and 3 = you probably are not make it this season but please know that you are invited to keep coming back to our camps for the education. These corps' also make it clear that by the time summer rolls around only those with 1 ratings will actually go on tour.

THere's only one logical and fair way to do this (evaluate a potential member)...why is this so difficult?

A) Cut

B) Contract

C) String along, with the understanding that BOTH parties have a choice! The kid can say, "nah, I'll try out for another corps."

Corps for which I'm familiar do this for every kid, every camp. It's also entirely possible that other corps might put EVERYONE in group C for 3 camps in a row, holding out on contracts until all evaluations have been made...that is EQUALLY VALID (and risky...kids get anxious w/o commitment, and go elsewhere)

As a very recent participant in drum corps I would have to strongly disagree with you. I find it agitating reading this post because you claim to understand why anyone wants to do drum corps and you don't. You just don't get it. You aren't going to explain to ME why I did something. And unless you actually marched drum corps then I would hope you would understand how meaningless competition really is. It fun, and exciting, but its meaningless....

Let me get this straight....he's not allowed to say why people march, but you are?

I marched drum corps, and I don't think competition is meaningless. It does need to be put in perspective, though. Apparently, different marchers arrive at different perspectives....but the process of putting competition in some sort of perspective is an experience common to all marchers, and one of the most important experiences drum corps provides to participants.

Let me get this straight....he's not allowed to say why people march, but you are?

I marched drum corps, and I don't think competition is meaningless. It does need to be put in perspective, though. Apparently, different marchers arrive at different perspectives....but the process of putting competition in some sort of perspective is an experience common to all marchers, and one of the most important experiences drum corps provides to participants.

I reread what you responed to and had to laugh because of my bcakground. Corps I joined had reformed and was a non (DCA) finalist for the first few years I was a member. At first we competed against ourself (aka - beat last weeks score) as a push to improve. Then as we got better it was trying to beat the next corps up so we could get into Finals.... And bottom line (pun intended) the higher we got, the more $$$$ the corps made (the other bottom line) and corps corps could survive.... about as UNmeaningless as could be.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You can't speak for every corps. You cannot always tell who will be a good candidate for a spot from one camp. I auditioned for Cadets in 1999 and was almost cut because of my first audition (and this was the second camp), but I was given another chance to come to the next camp. Obviously they saw some potential. And unless you've been to every corps audition camps, you cannot say WHAT it seems like. By your standards, it would be pretty #### tough to make it into a corps after a 3 day camp given they still have to see how a person marches, how well a person memorizes music, etc. That all isn't done over one camp, speaking from the corps I've marched in.

Agreed. Some people can also seem to be great potential members during the camps as well, and then come spring training and all day every day rehearsals, they completely collapse in on themselves and struggle all season long after they've already got a contract. Quite honestly, you never truly know for sure until you're into spring training to see how everyone really reacts to the real thing. Camps are only a small snapshot of what it is like.

I reread what you responed to and had to laugh because of my bcakground. Corps I joined had reformed and was a non (DCA) finalist for the first few years I was a member. At first we competed against ourself (aka - beat last weeks score) as a push to improve. Then as we got better it was trying to beat the next corps up so we could get into Finals.... And bottom line (pun intended) the higher we got, the more $$$$ the corps made (the other bottom line) and corps corps could survive.... about as UNmeaningless as could be.

I'm glad my post made you chuckle! Lord knows we need a good laugh now and then.

Now ask yourself. Did you join a corps so you can make that corps win, gain money and beat all the other corps? OR did the significance of getting your corps more money with higher placements happen after you became a member?

I believe we are talking about competition as a reason for JOINING not for it significance in monetary gain. The "unmeaningless" of competition comes from its inability to correctly gauge who is better, what show was more entertaining, what is more liked by the crowd, and it does little to improve or destroy the experience of drum corps. All of the non-monetary aspects of drum corps.

Competition is a general framework that makes it interesting to fans, and for the fans competition is significant. But from my experiences and with other members, (I'm not speaking for all members just for the members that I know and met over the years) competition was in effect meaningless, yes. If competition is mearly "significant" because it can get corps more money to survive as you said, I would say that this is true. But I don't know anyone who joined a drum corps because they wanted to get the corps more money by moving higher in the placements. I've just never come across anything like that.

Edited by charlie1223

Yes, I have authority over everyone's minds in drum corps. I am the alpha and the omega of drum corps.

No, silly! That's why I said I disagree with him. He may be right but I disagree with him.

Frankly, the only reason we have to put drum corps competition "into perspective" is because its not really "competition". It is more like categorized opinions. I think that winning in sports provides more "meaningful" competition than drum corps competition because there are no middle men (the judges) that put a competitive value on your performance.

It's a fine line of course... but I don't want to derail this discussion... :P

Edited by charlie1223