What is the biggest challenge facing drum corps today?

1 Loss of local membership, and all that cascades from that - loss of local shows (i.e. >1 show per year within 150 miles or so), local pride of ownership, etc.

2. Cost to be competitive. Pit required an extra equipment truck. Electronics even more.

3. Unrecognizable music. Madison last year was an exception. But most corps cater to the judges (naturally), and the judges are often music faculty at the college level, so corps are forced to play to to them (& their egos) rather than the paying fans. But with only 1 show/year for the average fan to attend (see #1), what the heck....

• Like 1

Not really... because this poll is both outdated and flawed.... and just flat out wrong when we look at the broader appeal globally of the game of baseball.

Baseball has grown among all demograhic groups world wide the last decade. Young and old alike. The increase in baseball interest in Japan ( for example ) is breathtaking. More and more Asian born players are routinely making into into MLB. This was unheard of, just a few decades ago. Baseball interest in Cuba, South America, etc among both young and old alike is through the roof. No other" foreign " sport has increased more in both fan interest and participation in China ( with billions of people and with more and more disposable incomes on the part of it's populace ) than has the game of baseball. The sport of baseball had virtually no presence on the continent of Africa until recently. It is growing there as well now. The numbers of younger fans worldwide that watch baseball the last decade has increased exponentially as well. The Taiwan Little League teams and the other non North American Little League teams success the last decade also speaks to the growth of " America's Pastime " sport among the young and around the Globe. So while this poll referred to interest in a thoroughly parochial and provincial manner ( the United States ) it's point is lost entirely when seen in the much broader context of baseball's rapid growth among all demographic groups throughout most of the rest of the world the last decade.

Oh and one more thing.... baseball is known for how LITTLE the game has fundamentally changed since ( say ) "1870".... especially compared with the changes in Drum Corps since ( say ) " 1970 ".

1. Where is your proof

2. This is a gallup poll with a very high reputation it is not "wrong" or "flawed"

3. This poll was strictly about US trends not world trends.

4. The numbers are from 2008, that is not outdated. Those numbers show the decreasing numbers of fans.

5. I honestly don't know what your upset about when all I showed you were facts from credible sources.

6. Did you not look at the other article I posted that said that ALL sports except football lost fans over the 4 year period of 2001-2005? There is no more recent data than that regarding all sports.

Edited by charlie1223

1-COST.

corps tour too much. With gas and food prices it costs too much .

The 2 tour system of the 70's-80's worked better. Corps would stay local beginning of the season . touring locally . then have 2 weeks of practice at home before going on 2nd tour when they headed out for championships. took the off dys out a=more shows in a shorter time . less fuel ,less food , . This is hard because cops are NOT as locally orientated anymore

2-Points or Education .

This balance seems to have been going toward the points instead of the education category. When I think back to what I learned in corps it was to get along with different people , work as a team and how to perform and blow away a crowd. I believe the crowd has been lost because of the direction of some top corps going for points and rings instead of educating the members and teaching performance.

3- TOP CORPS talk a good game .

QWhen changes are made and discussions are had in the winter meeting I believe the top corps talk a good game but when push comes to shove they only care about placements and scores. not what is good for the activity , the fans , the members , the alumni's.

• Like 2

3. This poll was strictly about US trends not world trends.

6. Did you not look at the other article I posted that said that ALL sports except football lost fans over the 4 year period of 2001-2005? There is no more recent data than that regarding all sports.

I said as much too in my remarks above, ie baseball fan interest and participation levels have GROWN since 2000 worldwide. The Gallup poll was local ( US ) and made anecdotal predictions off that local poll result.

I did look at your comment that said that " all sports except football have lost fans over the 4 year period of 2001-2005 ". The comment is not factual however with data that is much more recent ( 2009-2010 ). Baseball has grown in interest among all demographic age groups world wide. While baseball has lost SOME fans in the US . MLB attendance in the US is up ,( ie quote: " despite the weak economy, 2009 year was 5th highest attendance year on record in MLB history".. Source, MLB and ESPN ). Baseball fan interest and participation levels worldwide has GROWN since 2000...bolstered with rapid growth from regions such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, South America, Carribean, etc. ' Hope this clarifies this for you.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Cost, cost and the economy. Otherwise looks pretty healthy to me.

I know you don't like it but THIS is exactly what the TOC shows are trying to do. So it's a good move in the right direction I think.

Il disagree since some of those in the TOC want woodwinds

• Like 1

1.Expenses.[Controling the high costs for a corps to exist and tour.]

2.Loss of fans and corps.[Need more entertaining shows, need more tv time.]

3.DCI needs regional qualifiers.

I honestly believe that by dividing the country into 5 regions: North,

South, East, West and Mid, and by holding 5 regional qualifiers that

decide which corps get to compete during DCI championship week, that

this will rejuvinate DCI.

Each corps is assigned to a region (including any international

corps), they compete at one of the 5 regional qualifiers, and if they

make the top 5 in a regional qualifier they are invited to compete at

the DCI quarterfinals.

ALL jr corps, regardless of size, age, ability, etc. will be invited

to compete at one of the 5 DCI regional qualifiers.

Corps from every division will compete against each other at the 5

regional qualifiers, so a little corps with 15 kids in it will have a

real chance to compete against a corps like Phantom etc.

That will excite and motivate kids and parents!

This one proposed change will solve DCI's attrition problem i

guarantee you.

Right. So how do you plan financially knowing you or may not go all summer?

Good try tho

• Like 1

Drum corps will die because it is no longer special. Once woodwinds are added (it'll happen within 5 years) there will be nothing to differentiate it from marching band. Kids will have no reason to participate. Why would a kid (or parent paying for it) give up an entire summer and $3000-$4000 to participate in something they can do for much less or free in the fall?

Drum corps was great because it was different.

• Like 1

1) Increasing Costs

2) Other conflicts (jobs, school, other interests) keeping members from being in a corps 100% during the Summer

3) Less corps/less shows/less knowledge about DC for the genral public (fits together)

I know you don't like it but THIS is exactly what the TOC shows are trying to do. So it's a good move in the right direction I think.

Actually, it's more of pandering to ONLY those that are champions and screw everyone else. If all you are pushing is the best of the best without anything to support it..it will fail and fail big time. If drum corps is to survive it HAS to be able to have corps that AREN'T champions and have a place to compete. The absolute WORST thing to happen to DCI is when they eliminated the local circuits and started to import talent of those that could pay to play. If you want to be a semi-pro professional brass marching band than so be it. But, PLEASE quit pretending to be a youth centered activity with the interests of kids in mind wrapped in a drum corps robe.

As a side note, it could be all the drum corps elitists that are driving drum corps into the pit as well. We can clearly see from the Pioneer thread that it's not acceptable to some to simply BE there to compete and offer a great experience. I would also place a bet that a TON if these talking heads would not go to a show that did not showcase a top 12 corps..no matter the price or place. Unfortunately, we exist today in the generation of instant gratification rather than reality. As a thought drum corps could be in the shape it is simply from these people not accepting anything but top 12 quality..all the time. As a former music educator, I find that rather disturbing (if not MOST) to say the least.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1