Cadets2

And we (Sunrisers) were called "The Milk and Cookies Corps" (or Cadets) when Donna and I joined in '75....

Hey! Wait a minute, Tony! We (Hawthorne) were always called the "Milk and Cookie Boys" by others, especially the Skyliners.

Matter of fact, some of my friends (?) in their alumni corps still throw that out at us from time to time! LOL!!! :tongue:

See, Ace, I prefer YOUR attitude. As far as giving younger players a chance, though, uh, they already have that with every already-existing DCA corps. But if it can help drive more folks to shows AND maybe raise the bar a bit, then I'm sure all for it!

But given the way they are approaching the corps, rehearsal-wise, I think they will attract primarily Lehigh Valley HS kids and recent area grads.

So to tell someone 16 years old in Allentown that they could march with Hawthorne...or even then Buccs, might be a tough sell, parental-unit-wise.

• Like 1

Not to disagree with you Jeff (yeah, that's never happened :rolleyes: )

I quoted Hoppy himself stating precisely that fact was a big part of his issue. Go back and read the quote.

I've seen this come up from time to time in discussions on this forum, and I generally move to demolish them ANY time they come up by ANY person who brings it up.

This simply isn't an issue, and it falls into the category of "stupid myths perpetuated by individuals because they are either misinformed or it fits their agenda".

Now... which one is Hopkins? :ph34r:

I know he said that. And, well, that's all I'll say about that concerning him.

However, I talked to a board member. As usual, what Hop says and how he says it online isn't always what is or the best way.

yes that's a myth in many cases. In fact, it's a myth in DCA far more than it is in DCI :ph34r:

And in '74 when Westshore tried to regroup it was open up the floodgates to HS and college agers or stay defunct. It was a Helluva ride and learning experience for us all. Sure other corps had fun calling us the Kiddie Korps until we started beating some of 'em. :devil: Then we got some wild ###ed looks in the parking lot.

One of my funniest memories was turning 21 few days before AL Nats in New Orleans. I walked around with a beer in the parking lot of the motel the night we won and couple of BoD members jumped me about it. Explained I was 21 and it was "Oh... happy birthday". Then one woke up a bit and said "Jimmy how many years have you been in the corps now?" :blink:

Answer was it was my 5th season.

On topic: It'a another DCA corps.... :thumbup:

Westshore was that way from 74 til the end. It did keep us alive even when management couldn't

But given the way they are approaching the corps, rehearsal-wise, I think they will attract primarily Lehigh Valley HS kids and recent area grads.

So to tell someone 16 years old in Allentown that they could march with Hawthorne...or even then Buccs, might be a tough sell, parental-unit-wise.

here's the thing.....very few DCA corps are truly local based anymore. I know people going to Cabs from Hagerstown MD. I know people going to Bucs from Baltimore. Hell Walt Street came in from Pittsburgh anymore. Windsor has folks from Baltimore.

A kid will go where 1) he's attracted to 2) where friends go and 3) where HS instructors march/teach.

having a local option helps, but think of ALL the bands up in your area that DON'T feed kids to Cabs, Bush, Sky, Sun, Fusion etc. It's not cause of 40 year olds next to kids.

here's the thing.....very few DCA corps are truly local based anymore. I know people going to Cabs from Hagerstown MD. I know people going to Bucs from Baltimore. Hell Walt Street came in from Pittsburgh anymore. Windsor has folks from Baltimore.

A kid will go where 1) he's attracted to 2) where friends go and 3) where HS instructors march/teach.

having a local option helps, but think of ALL the bands up in your area that DON'T feed kids to Cabs, Bush, Sky, Sun, Fusion etc. It's not cause of 40 year olds next to kids.

I do think that an organization like Youth Education in the Arts, is a much easier sell to non-drum corp parents than most DCA corps. Not because there's anything nefarious going on in the DCA corps, but because a youth organization is going to be more attractive to parent who don't know drum corps.

I do think that an organization like Youth Education in the Arts, is a much easier sell to non-drum corp parents than most DCA corps. Not because there's anything nefarious going on in the DCA corps, but because a youth organization is going to be more attractive to parent who don't know drum corps.

possibly. But he hasn't exactly been breaking tryout records for the main corps.

possibly. But he hasn't exactly been breaking tryout records for the main corps.

IMHO, different demographic. I think that these days, less kids can leave for the summer and not work.

Which is why I think Cadets 2 is a great idea.

IMHO, different demographic. I think that these days, less kids can leave for the summer and not work.

Which is why I think Cadets 2 is a great idea.

I didn't say it was bad idea. I said it was bad wording.

Hey! Wait a minute, Tony! We (Hawthorne) were always called the "Milk and Cookie Boys" by others, especially the Skyliners.

Matter of fact, some of my friends (?) in their alumni corps still throw that out at us from time to time! LOL!!! :tongue:

Well.... that's not what we (Sun) called the Cabs back in my days... LOLshutup.gif

(I'm much too much a gentlemen to repeat any of those names though. devil.gif)

• Like 1